Prescription v OC meds

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 01:27 pm
It has always appalled me how seldom your friendly local General Practitioner will prescribe an Over-the-Counter product. That some must be very effective is confirmed by the tear-off label that lets the pharmacist hide its true identity just before he transmits it to you over-the-counter

Still there must be scores if not hundreds of OC equally or almost as effective as their Prescription Med counterparts and yet your GP very rarely suggests the OC, paradoxical in view of the fact that the prescription is required when the substance is known to present serious risks; and yet its PM status prices it 25 times the equivalent OC

Still this apparent contradiction isn't well known or much appreciated, as a quick Googling reveals

https://www.google.com/#q=best+over-the-counter+meds

,….disappointing in that most such hits are aimed at a specific condition such as runny nose, few naming the entire panoply of reasonably effective OC

To put it bluntly I wonder if our GP isn't being misled, while we're being screwed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 399 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 01:48 pm
@dalehileman,
I have a feeling that there might be some medical ethics problem for prescribing non prescriptions. Certainly, there could be problems involving purity and actual dosage.

Just guessing.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 01:59 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I have a feeling that there might be some medical ethics problem for prescribing non prescriptions.
Oh most assuredly Rog, the principal one being that note on the label to the pharmacist advising him how easy to scratch it off so you don't know what you're getting

Quote:
Certainly, there could be problems involving purity and actual dosage.
Agreed but it would seem such issues might be very easily resolved in our favor. However the Establishment is very powerful and might apply immense resistance to the suggestion

Quote:
Just guessing.
Ah well Rog, me too I suppose
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Prescription v OC meds
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 01:36:34