Why do women who wear veils need special shampoos?

Miller

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 10:59 am
Shampoo Companies Specifically Targeting Women Who Wear Veils
Kate Dries

Because everybody's got a thing about them that makes them special enough to be targeted by advertisers, hair care companies have figured out that selling shampoo to Muslim women is where they're going to make a lot of money.

In October, the German company Henkel released their new Gliss Restore & Refresh line, a product they say is "the first hair care specifically for veiled hair":

"Hair is a sign of beauty. Especially in the Middle East women would like to have long, healthy hair. Of course, this also applies even if they cover their hair in public with a veil," explained Ezzeddine Attia, who is responsible for Research & Development in the region Middle East/Africa.

Though hair is hair, whether it's under a veil or not, Henkel says Restore & Refresh addresses very veil-specific problems: "hair loss, split ends, lack of shine, an itchy scalp and an unpleasant odor. These problems arise because air cannot circulate under the veil, so hair becomes fragile." In places where the veil isn't required (like Spanish-speaking countries) the products Henkel sells look almost identical, but are marketed slightly differently, in that you can see the hair of the women in the ads.

Unilever has come out with a similar line, albeit one that is slightly more subtle about its consumer. In the past few years they've spent money researching women in the Middle East, ultimately targeting women there with their shampoo line Sunsilk. Companies like Henkel and Unilever typically emphasize their leave-on hair conditioners to Muslim women because they can be worn under a veil.

Shampoo Companies Specifically Targeting Women Who Wear Veils

The Wall Street Journal reports that in the Middle East and Africa, the growth of Henkel's veil hair care products "outpaces growth from the company as a whole." Henkel's competitors are also making plenty of money via popular skin-lightening creams, but in the skin care realm, these companies have "tweaked" some of their Western best-sellers, changing the scents to be more appealing to Middle Eastern buyers. One advertising expert told the Journal that the Muslim consumer market right now is similar "to the untapped Hispanic market in the U.S. 20 years ago."

Of course, working within new markets is always going to come with new challenges. When Henkel first started selling Gliss Restore & Refresh in the Middle East, they sold it with a free veil in order to encourage women to buy it. Why did they need this perk? Because local sellers make imitation products that are cheaper. While most of the women targeted to buy these products have disposable incomes, when a product is first launched, "personal-care companies" have to fight to work within a market that isn't used to having them around. But give them 20 years and veil shampoo will be the absolute norm.

Jezebel.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,026 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Miller

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 11:03 am
@Miller,
Why do you suppose that veiled women, today need a special shampoo for their hair?

Nuns ( Catholic) for centuries in most parts of World wore head coverings whenever in public ( teaching, nursing, etc.) and as far as any one knows never went bald or had smelly hair.

So if the Catholic nuns could go without special shampoos year after year, why suddenly do Muslim women need special hair products?

Think $$ by the companies who make these shampoos. Anything for a big, fat buck!
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 12:04 pm
@Miller,
I always thought Catholic nuns smelt lovely, awful hairy armpits though.

He's in for a shock if she's bald.

Maybe the shampoo has a special ingredient, anti-infidel for that holier hidden look.
Great for the girl on a jihad.
Foofie

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 01:27 pm
@Miller,
As I learned in a marketing class back in the '70's, marketing is the art of getting people to realize that they have a need that they didn't realize before that they had. When women were told that shaving their legs made their legs more beautiful, this concept was being effected. Similar with telling women to shave under their armpits. Similar with many mouthsprays. When a better toilet paper is developed we will see advertisements possibly that profess to make us more congenial for society, after wiping our asses with the new product, or something like that. Go back a few centuries, and we lived a life that did not "market" all the consumer items, yet we are still here today, and our ancestors had bodily hair, smelly bodies, etc.
Miller

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 04:07 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Great for the girl on a jihad.

Especially if she's gifted with "hairy armpits".
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 04:10 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

... our ancestors had bodily hair, smelly bodies, etc.

and...they used "corn cobs" to wipe their poop away.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 04:55 pm
Nuns wore their hair clipped short. I saw a few nuns as a kid without their veil on, and let me tell you, their hair looked like ****. They also many times stunk wearing that black habit.

In addition, nuns didn't care what they looked like, being married to Jesus and all. The women targeted to this product have husbands, family and friends who see them without their veils. That's why they wear makeup, jewelry and nice clothes when at home.

I could see where the veil rubbing on your head all the time could damage your hair.

The main thing though, is that is not my money, or yours Miller, that they are spending.

There're shampoos on the market all the way from $1 a bottle to the sky's the limit. If someone wants to buy it, that's their business.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 04:57 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

I always thought Catholic nuns smelt lovely, awful hairy armpits though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=excxIZ4wUvg[/youtube]

What's your point with this video, these aren't nuns.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 05:00 pm
@Miller,
My experience is that Arabic Muslim women are very beauty conscious. Under the hijab and burka is some spectacular makeup, hair, jewelry and clothing.
chai2

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 06:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Here I see a lot of Muslim women who don't keep their face covered, but where a veil and the modest clothing.

But their faces are almost always made up, and their eyes are especially beautiful.

I remember this one woman who was with her husband. She was wearing a raincoat of an indescribable shade of pink. She wore a scarf that perfectly complemented, and her shoes and bag was of obvious quality. She was in her late 20's beautiful and serene. Her husband was quite attentive to her, and they appeared very happy together.

I'll never forget her, she was so amazing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why do women who wear veils need special shampoos?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:47:04