Girl friend recalling father rape dream

ryoutsu

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 05:56 am
Hi

My girl friend (24) recently told me that she recalls a childhood dream she had from she doesn't know what age, where she got raped by her father. This came up in a casual but candid conversation about dreams/lucid dreaming etc. I don't think she consciously meant something by it. I have my own set of freaky dreams that I shared with her. But this one that she told me caught my attention. I just let it pass at the time but thought I would bring this up here to see what others thought.

Thank you

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 495 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 06:45 am
@ryoutsu,
People dream all sorts of things.

The best part of dreams is - they aren't real.

Unless your girlfriend has actual evidence, memories, etc. of being assaulted by her father, it's likely that this dream is more of a substitution fantasy, where the father is substituted, in the subconscious, for someone else.

See Freud (Creative Writers and Daydreaming).
ryoutsu

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 06:58 am
@jespah,
Thank you for you reply.

I obviously understand but just to make sure of what you are saying, you are saying that there is a possibility that she was possibly abused by someone other than her father, but is substituting "him" with her own father?

Thanks again
jespah

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 07:11 am
@ryoutsu,
Absolutely not. What I am saying is that it's a fantasy. She's probably subconsciously fantasizing about some sort of power struggle with an authority figure.
ryoutsu

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 07:25 am
@jespah,
I see.
It seemed as though her dream came from her as pretty young child. I suppose a power struggle with an authority figure would be something that could start at an early age.

Thanks again
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 08:23 am
While this forum does not consist of professional therapists, we might be able to point her to some information that will help.
From wiki:
Quote:
Child sexual abuse can result in both short-term and long-term harm, including psychopathology in later life.

Indicators and effects include depression,[6][24][25] anxiety,[8] eating disorders,[26] poor self-esteem,[26] somatization,[25] sleep disturbances,[27][28] and dissociative and anxiety disorders including post-traumatic stress disorder.[7][29]

While children may exhibit regressive behaviours such as a return to thumb-sucking or bed-wetting, the strongest indicator of sexual abuse is sexual acting out and inappropriate sexual knowledge and interest.[30][31]

Victims may withdraw from school and social activities[30] and exhibit various learning and behavioural problems including cruelty to animals,[32][33][34][35] attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), conduct disorder, and oppositional defiant disorder (ODD).[26]

Teenage pregnancy and risky sexual behaviors may appear in adolescence.[36] Child sexual abuse victims report almost four times as many incidences of self-inflicted harm.[37]
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 08:31 am
Is this a recurrent dream, or a one-timer?
ryoutsu

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 10:44 am
@PUNKEY,
It seems to be a one time thing from many years ago. From the sound of it, maybe pre-teens dream.
0 Replies

ryoutsu

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 10:46 am
@panzade,
Thank you for the information. Not sure if too many of those points apply but she is pretty aggressive about sexual activity.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:03 pm
I want to add - I don't want it to appear as if I'm just dismissing it if something really happened. But there are any number of reasons why we have the dreams that we do. They don't necessarily constitute evidence of anything.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 03:00 pm
It could indicate a desire to wed a more wild side of her personality, particularly if she is repressed or lived a rigid and regulated childhood with dominate cool or distant parents.

Could indicate.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 08:41 pm
@ryoutsu,
We can be thankful that dreams themselves are not reality. But, if she is troubled by it, a competent therapist might help.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Girl friend recalling father rape dream
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/25/2024 at 06:05:19