Begging the Question or an Appeal to Authority fallacy?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 05:58 am
@brandonsays,
brandonsays wrote:

I agree that it is an appeal to authority, and Christians should never use that form of argumentation (sadly, many do). But I don't think an appeal to God is begging the question. To state that God is not in evidence is begging the question as well, so either or is question begging. The point in this little exercise, in my view would be to make sure that all arguments appeal to reason - not to evidence. The use of evidence also has to appeal to reason. So I would say that at the top of the order here is reason's rules - non-contradiction, identity and excluded middle. Appeals to authority are fallacys because they discount reason's rules for a more popular form of argumentation that says because somone said do, and that someone is always true, it must be true. We must first show reasonably that the someone in quesstion is always true. God by definition is always true, or he wouldn't be God. But we have to reasonably demonstrate that the bible is his word. I think there are ways of doing just that within reason.

Why do you gratuitously include "always true" in your definition of GOD?
neologist

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa, responding to brandonsays wrote:
Would you worship God if he lied?

BTW, the first liar was the entity who spoke through the serpent in Genesis ch 3. Many worship him.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:29 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa, responding to brandonsays wrote:
Would you worship God if he lied?

Why would my willingness to worship something be a determinant?

Why do people think that if there is a GOD...it wants (or deserves) to be worshiped?

Quote:
BTW, the first liar was the entity who spoke through the serpent in Genesis ch 3. Many worship him.

I don't know about that. My reading of things is that the GOD LIED...and that the serpent told the truth.
0 Replies

brandonsays

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 05:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
From a philosophical standpoint, I view God as the necessary first cause of all that began to exist. This should be the beginning of any meaningful definition of what we mean by God. If He is other than that by definition, then He is hardly necessary, and hardly God. If we extrapolate further from this, we discover that God, by definition is above and before all. Therefore deception are hardly necessary for a being who can accomplish what He wishes without it. It would therefore seem to be in His character to always be true. Deception is the trademark of created beings who have been given free will. It hardly makes any sense that God would have that same character and 'remain' God, which logically He must do.

God as a deceiver presents us with another myriad of logical absurdities. We could not, in fact argue logically if God is not true.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 02:28 am
@brandonsays,
brandonsays wrote:

From a philosophical standpoint, I view God as the necessary first cause of all that began to exist. This should be the beginning of any meaningful definition of what we mean by God. If He is other than that by definition, then He is hardly necessary, and hardly God. If we extrapolate further from this, we discover that God, by definition is above and before all. Therefore deception are hardly necessary for a being who can accomplish what He wishes without it. It would therefore seem to be in His character to always be true. Deception is the trademark of created beings who have been given free will. It hardly makes any sense that God would have that same character and 'remain' God, which logically He must do.

God as a deceiver presents us with another myriad of logical absurdities. We could not, in fact argue logically if God is not true.

What you are doing is to present what a GOD must be.

That is an interesting guess...but that is all it is.

The fact that you can show that a GOD is not necessary...is not a proof (or even evidence) that there is no GOD.

The notion that "It would therefore seem to be in His character to always be true. Deception is the trademark of created beings who have been given free will. It hardly makes any sense that God would have that same character and 'remain' God, which logically He must do."...is nothing more than gratuitous babble, inserted not to show absurdity or inconsistency, but merely to bolster whatever it is you are trying to sell.

Describing what a GOD MUST BE...or what characters the GOD must possess...is as as futile as asserting whether a GOD exists or not.

It is pure guesswork...and should not be sold as logic.

brandonsays

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 02:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks for that, Frank,

But what have you given me to show that your own assertions are nothimg but mere "guesswork?"

I gave you some conclusions, some ongoing discussion in the philosophy of religion, which all share some support from laws of reason. Namely, the law of non-contradiction, of identity, etc... We must resolve logical absurdities with rational explanations. God as the necessary first cause of all that exists has hardly been challenged by those who contend otherwise. I'm not concerned about that. Let God be true and all men be proven liars, or else, let us rationally contend with reality, rather than with speculative assertions.

I can find no argument that refutes the necessity of God's existence given the world and universe we observe, and given our ability to understand it from a rational basis. Your assertion that it's mere speculation on my part does not advance an alternative.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 03:05 am
@brandonsays,
brandonsays wrote:

Thanks for that, Frank,

But what have you given me to show that your own assertions are nothimg but mere "guesswork?"

Which assertion are you talking about?

Quote:

I can find no argument that refutes the necessity of God's existence given the world and universe we observe, and given our ability to understand it from a rational basis. Your assertion that it's mere speculation on my part does not advance an alternative.

C'mon, Brandonsays!

Give me the argument that makes a GOD necessary.

And do not for one second suppose that I will offer an "alternative"...because I freely acknowledge that I do not know what the REALITY of existence is...and I cannot rule out gods nor do I find any reason to insist that they must exist.

You apparently do.

So...come up with something logical.
brandonsays

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 04:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
Why, your assertion that my arguments are merely "guesswork." Iow, I have no problem with thatcexcept that you have presented no argument, just an assertion. Why do you suppose my argument is guesswork?
brandonsays

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 04:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
Give me the argument that makes a god unnecessary. I've already given you my argument that what begins to exist has a cause, and this implies a necessary first cause to all that exists on pain of absurdity (infinite regresses of causes and such). What is your counter argument?
neologist

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 07:12 am
@brandonsays,
Frank needs epistemological certainty.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 11:22 am
@brandonsays,
brandonsays wrote:

Why, your assertion that my arguments are merely "guesswork." Iow, I have no problem with thatcexcept that you have presented no argument, just an assertion. Why do you suppose my argument is guesswork?

My assertions that your arguments with regard to the nature of gods are merely guesswork...is because your arguments about the nature of gods...what they must be and what they cannot be...ARE NOTHING BUT GUESSWORK.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 11:29 am
@brandonsays,
brandonsays wrote:

Give me the argument that makes a god unnecessary.

There is absolutely no argument that I can think of that makes any god necessary. There also is absolutely no argument I can think of that make an itchy ass necessary either.

But...as we all know...occasionally one has an itchy ass.

The fact that gods are not necessary has no impact on anything.

Quote:
I've already given you my argument that what begins to exist has a cause, and this implies a necessary first cause to all that exists on pain of absurdity (infinite regresses of causes and such). What is your counter argument?

Your argument is absurdity itself, Brandon. Aquinas did a much better job than you of presenting it...and I have argued the absurdity of Aquinas' argument also.

If a first cause is necessary...the infinite regression cannot end. You would always be left with a variation of "so what caused that first cause?"

You are essentially arguing about the existence of gods...which is merely a rather minor part in a much, much deeper and more complex question:

What is the true nature of the REALITY of existence?

You really ought be working on that before you start telling me what the nature of a god HAS to be...and what it cannot be.
0 Replies

brandonsays

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 12:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Actually, no. I base them on logical inferences. If God exists, he is the necessary first cause of everything that began to exist. That isn't guesswork, but a conclusion you get when you consider how things exist at all. If the axiom "you don't get something from nothing" is correct (and in a cause-effect scenario, it is), then that there is a necessary first cause is an unavoidable conclusion. Any other conclusion is incoherent.

You get 3 things right there regarding the nature of God. 1) He is eternal (uncaused cause). 2) He is immaterial, and 3) He is more powerful than what he created.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 01:44 pm
@brandonsays,
brandonsays wrote:

Actually, no. I base them on logical inferences. If God exists, he is the necessary first cause of everything that began to exist. That isn't guesswork, but a conclusion you get when you consider how things exist at all. If the axiom "you don't get something from nothing" is correct (and in a cause-effect scenario, it is), then that there is a necessary first cause is an unavoidable conclusion. Any other conclusion is incoherent.

Well...my conclusion is that we do not know anything with specificity about those things, Brandon...and I think that conclusion is a hell of a lot more "coherent" than where you end up.

Quote:
You get 3 things right there regarding the nature of God. 1) He is eternal (uncaused cause). 2) He is immaterial, and 3) He is more powerful than what he created.

Gratuitous inferences...and you should be able to see that.

I do not know...and it may be that any knowledge about this issue is unknowable.

You ought to consider that conclusion more carefully.
brandonsays

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 03:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Your continued charge that my inferences are "gratuitous" does not make them so, Frank. I have repeatedly based those inferences on the axiom: "nothing comes from nothing," or "you don't get something from nothing." There is nothing gratuitous in that statement whatsoever. It is a foregone conclusion when observing cause/effect scenarios, and it is common to our experience without exception.

An inference based on this is that since you don't get something from nothing, something, rather than nothing caused the universe into being.

If you can show me how nothingness can cause something into being, you just might have an argument. But you can't. That is a gurantee. Just stating you don't know because you are unhappy with the foregone conclusion simply doesn't work.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 04:10 pm
@brandonsays,
brandonsays wrote:

Your continued charge that my inferences are "gratuitous" does not make them so, Frank. I have repeatedly based those inferences on the axiom: "nothing comes from nothing," or "you don't get something from nothing." There is nothing gratuitous in that statement whatsoever. It is a foregone conclusion when observing cause/effect scenarios, and it is common to our experience without exception.

How can that not be gratuitous? If nothing comes from nothing...or you don't get something from nothing...HOW CAN ANYTHING EXIST?

Where would the "first cause" come from?

Quote:
An inference based on this is that since you don't get something from nothing, something, rather than nothing caused the universe into being.

Then were does this "something" come from?

Quote:
If you can show me how nothingness can cause something into being, you just might have an argument. But you can't. That is a gurantee. Just stating you don't know because you are unhappy with the foregone conclusion simply doesn't work.

No, I cannot show you how nothingness can cause something into being.

But you show me how whatever it is that "caused" something into being...came into being?

What are you talking about here?

How can you possibly imagine that your gratuitous "inferences" are superior to simply acknowledging that you do not know?

If "nothing comes from nothing"....how can there be anything?

(HINT TO THE ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION) We do not know!
brandonsays

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 04:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yes, I see where you have difficulties with what I'm saying. Perhaps I'm jumping a bit too far ahead from the basics of the cosmological argument, which goes like this:

1) Everything that begins to exist has a cause (Law of causality).
2) The universe began to exist (on pain of absurdity, but also supported by several current cosmological models).
3) Therefore the universe had a cause.

In order to resolve any absurdities (which we must do), such as infinite regresses of causes, we must posit that given the premises and conclusion above there is of necessity a first cause to the universe that is uncaused (eternal). That cause must be immaterial. Now the issue we're faced with here, and the reason I think you objected to my initial argument is in the word "something." from the phrase "something from nothing." We don't have an adequate term for an immaterial uncaused "something," and I think that is where the difficulty lies. However, I believe the argument is sound. Are you doubting that an immaterial uncaused "something" can produce a material something? If so, please explain.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 05:06 pm
@brandonsays,
brandonsays wrote:

Yes, I see where you have difficulties with what I'm saying. Perhaps I'm jumping a bit too far ahead from the basics of the cosmological argument, which goes like this:

1) Everything that begins to exist has a cause (Law of causality).
2) The universe began to exist (on pain of absurdity, but also supported by several current cosmological models).
3) Therefore the universe had a cause.

In order to resolve any absurdities (which we must do), such as infinite regresses of causes, we must posit that given the premises and conclusion above there is of necessity a first cause to the universe that is uncaused (eternal). That cause must be immaterial. Now the issue we're faced with here, and the reason I think you objected to my initial argument is in the word "something." from the phrase "something from nothing." We don't have an adequate term for an immaterial uncaused "something," and I think that is where the difficulty lies. However, I believe the argument is sound. Are you doubting that an immaterial uncaused "something" can produce a material something? If so, please explain.

Let's come back to this, but I have a question (actually, two questions) that might impact on how I proceed with a response here.

Is there anything in this "manifesto" you have presented that you consider...MAY BE WRONG?

Is there any possibility whatever...no matter how small...that humans, the possibly insignificant life form that occurs on this tiny pebble circling a not especially huge sun in a not especially huge galaxy of stars...

...simply is incapable of understanding the REALITY of existence...

...and that any suppositions (including the ones we consider are a product of reason and logic)...

...are nothing more than pap?

Think these complex question over carefully, Brandon...and truly answer them rather than skirt them in any way.

You may be able to answer either or both with just one word...either "yes" or "no."

I may have a follow up question if either is answered "no."

brandonsays

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 05:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, interesting response. I absolutely could be wrong.

Is there a possibility that humans are incapable of understanding existence? Certainly. But then my certainty would then need to be questioned. I think the whole exercise you're suggesting is self-defeating.

We operate on certain assumptions that are self-evidently true. We call these "laws of reason." They are such that if doubted, we cannot coherently argue any truth claim.

So while I believe it may be possible that we humans are incapable of understanding existence, I believe it is unlikely that this is so, given our ability to reason. I hold that existence must have a rational explanation. If we have an ability to reason, then we have an ability to understand existence, however limited that understanding might be.
brandonsays

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 07:02 pm
@neologist,
Frank has asked some important questions, though, so I give him credit for asking them. I surmise that he may be at an impasse in his commitment to materialism, as all materialists must reach eventually. He's now implying that the answers to existence may be too complex for human comprehension. This is where the very brilliant Stephen Hawking seems to be. But Hawking has crossed a line into the absurd by stating in his new book that the laws of physics created the universe.

The rational response to such an impasse, of course, is to abandon one's commitment to materialism. But for many that's easier said than done.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 12:28:52