How to avoid decisions

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 11:54 am
Ori asks in,

http://able2know.org/topic/236431-1

"What does 'Decision, decisions' mean?" My own approach being unique, will have the most universal appeal and might thus require this separate thread

It means Ori that they're a sort of burden or hindrance

In my own case I have avoided most major decisions by marrying a girl who, I'm sure you're aware, is much smarter than me. In everyday matters however I've developed methods of choice that don't entail much thinking. For instance the numbers 1 and 3 figure prominently into such choices. For instances, how many logs should I carry to the woodpile

Well, obviously three. But commonsense is not excluded. For instance if one is especially heavy then I might take it alone, that is, as a load of one

But again commonsense is sometimes welcome. If I can tuck it under one arm sometimes I can carry one smaller with that hand. But then if a number of even smaller branches lie there I'd consider taking three with the other hand

But of course only if they're piling up

Some larger numbers do figure in. For instance 27 is very prominent (being 3^3) in a situation for instance sorting rocks or pulling weeds when six or even nine imparts a sense of guilt
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 318 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 12:09 pm
Are you OCD?

For sure you over-think things.

Here's my own story;

I like doing "active' meditation, which requires one to simply babble for up to 5 minutes. It's a great thing to do in the car and leaves me refreshed and with a clear mind. But it took a while to do this correctly.

The main rule is that the babbling NOT be in the form of any word (as that would connect one's mind to an object and that would stop the true meditation process of clearing the mind. Even saying the word "ma ma" could trigger a thought or connection to something)

So . . . I started to be concerned that I make sure to hit every letter of the alphabet in my "babble" so I began with Ah,Ah, Ba Ba, Ci Ci, Du Du, etc. This was, of course, entirely the wrong way to do this meditation.

I had to laugh at myself for approaching this exercise this way. But that was an example of how I sometimes over-think things.

dalehileman

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 01:25 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
Are you OCD?
If you mean Overly Concerned with Dale, well then yes maybe so

Quote:
For sure you over-think things.
With big rain today in SoCal there's not much else to do unless one simply likes reading

Quote:
Here's my own story;
I like doing "active' meditation, which requires one to simply babble…...NOT be in the form of any word…….So . . . I started to be concerned that I make sure to hit every letter…. so I began with Ah,Ah, Ba Ba, …... entirely the wrong way….I had to laugh at myself…..an example of how I sometimes over-think things.

Why though Punk did this prove to the the wrong way

It's interesting to note incidentally that when I was a kid to meditate meant to think hard about something while today it means to think about nothing

But you're not alone. It's interesting to note for instance lying in the tub in wait for it to empty that I overthinkingly meditate in similar ways, counting breaths or clockticks; for instance: 1,2,3…….A,B,C……Alpha, Beta, Gamma…..Mon, Tue, Wed…..Jan, Feb, Mar……Ichi, Ni, San…….Eins, Zwei, Drei……

…..though we're 'way OT; so how do you avoid decisions or do you in fact welcome 'em
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How to avoid decisions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 01:36:09