HURTING YOUNG BLACK FEMALES?

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 09:02 am
Why is the Media, movies, billboards, magazines always glorifying pale or light skin women? You hardly ever see them portraying black women or any brown skin woman as beautiful. You even have them having black men chasing after some pale woman rather than their own beautiful women. There are three main colors in this world, light, brown and black. Why is it that on the above that is not shown? Are they trying to destroy black women’s self-esteem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 657 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 06:20 pm
@LeonaBanks,
Apparently you've never seen Halle Berry movies? Beyoncé movies?...There are numerous examples. Why don't you mention them?

Another important social issue is that the black community needs to focus on the community education level ... efforts on raising their male children to be better men. Broken families in any race often lead to poor or no male role models to pass on good values and how to be good men and good citizens. Blaming Hollywood is an easy scapegoat but somewhat misplaced.

And due to your myopia and skewed world view, why is there no mention anything about Asians? Why is there no mention of misrepresentation of the image of gays or other minorities who also got short shrift?

Yes, there is racism and bias and yes Hollywood has had a disproportionate misrepresentation...but it has been improving. Give credit where it's due.
chai2

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 06:29 pm
@Ragman,
Generally, Berry and Beyonce are considered more light skinned ragman.

Women like Gabourey Sidibe, Grace Jones, Lupita Nyong'o would be considered dark.

I know, I get confused when I see someone, especially a black person, saying someone is lighter or darker, when to me they are in a mid-range.

I'd personally consider Berry and Beyonce mid range, but what do I know?
chai2

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 06:47 pm
I love this part of the movie....

Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 07:28 pm
@chai2,
We can go off track splitting hairs about skin shading - a direction that is begging the issue...a discussion of the real issue should be media misrepresentation.

I recall a problem that is a recent casting issue of a not-yet-released movie with the actress (black) who might portray a famous black singer....Nina Simone. Let me look that up to be certain it was her that this about. She was not black-featured enough ..didn't have nappy enough hair..etc. However, none of this was important or germane as to whether she was a good enough actor and that is a crying shame. This movie will be called The Amazing Nina Simone: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3531790/?ref_=fn_ft_tt_3[/i]
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 07:35 pm
@chai2,
Yes, a long-held image problem reflected in the black community is the opinions about bad-hair.

Oh thinking back to movie history to dark-skinned actresses who made excellent movies, positive image and great memorable roles..is Cicely Tyson.
Then there's Tina Turner ..on and off the screen.

In a slightly different direction..as for media representation, there's the good example of Michelle Obama.
BillRM

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 06:15 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
In a slightly different direction..as for media representation, there's the good example of Michelle Obama.

Have you taken a look at the new first lady of New York City yet?????
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 06:37 am
@LeonaBanks,
Quote:
There are three main colors in this world, light, brown and black

This statement strikes me as funny.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 07:05 am
@LeonaBanks,
Africa doesn't really have much of a film industry and there aren't a whole lot of really black people in the United States. That was a deliberate policy in the slave trade...
0 Replies