Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:58 am
Only you can CHANGE your life....., no one can do it for you... agree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,007 • Replies: 18
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 02:39 am
@Brown Antony Cruz,
No ! Social considerations define what "your life " is, and what constitutes "change". The "self" is an acquired concept as one relative to others. It is rarely consistent or fully integrated, and changes according to circumstances.
Think about it next time you have a discussion with yourself. Wink
contrex

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 07:51 am
Plenty of things besides "you" can can "change your life" whatever that means. An accident, A disease. A diagnosis. A book. A change in the law. A lottery win. A child. A pet.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 02:41 pm
@Brown Antony Cruz,
With the vast majority, the path of one's life is established the instant he's born: religion, ed., politics, opportunity, morality, class, race etc; so by the time he's about 12 he's cast in concrete
Fiona368

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:15 pm
@Brown Antony Cruz,
Ummm, you can change your life but other's can help you change it. I don't think other people can change it or they could by forcing you- oh that's them making yourself change.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 05:37 pm
In this context "change your life" is motivational-speak, aimed by snake-oil salesmen at marks who think their lives actually need (or would benefit from) "changing". Various things are touted as being capable of doing this. Various books. Jesus. Cults. Luhhhve. It's all bullshit. To that extent I agree with the OP>

chai2

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 06:21 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

In this context "change your life" is motivational-speak, aimed by snake-oil salesmen at marks who think their lives actually need (or would benefit from) "changing". Various things are touted as being capable of doing this. Various books. Jesus. Cults. Luhhhve. It's all bullshit. To that extent I agree with the OP>

I was listening to an ad on the radio yesterday, for some new type of bbq grill.

I kid you not, the announcer actually said "This will Change Your Life!"

Not, "it will change the way you grill"....no, it will Change Your Life!"
It wasn't said in the context of joking either.
roger

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 07:30 pm
@chai2,
Sounds like a real "game changer".
0 Replies

Brown Antony Cruz

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 12:57 pm
@fresco,
of-course their will be social consideration, but to neglect or consider this cause you need self belief or self motivation. by having that we can came out from any and change your life according to your wish
0 Replies

Brown Antony Cruz

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 12:58 pm
@contrex,
I agree but i dont have reply for you
0 Replies

Brown Antony Cruz

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 01:01 pm
@dalehileman,
true one.... he /she is deserve to live by their own.... there is no point in depending on these things
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 05:21 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I kid you not, the announcer actually said "This will Change Your Life!"
Surprised Chai that you're surprised. Is it possible you're not a Yankee but reside somewhere in a much more reserved culture
chai2

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 06:51 pm
@dalehileman,
Care to explain yourself? No idea what you mean. You think a bbq grill would change your life?
Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 07:04 pm
@Brown Antony Cruz,
No, i don't agree, and in fact, consider that a naïve and facile assumption. A drunk driver can lose control on the highway, striking your vehicle and change your life profoundly. You can have intimate relations with someone who has a sexually transmitted disease and change your life profoundly. Those are just examples of profound changes. There are any number of other examples in which someone's casual actions can change your life, whatever your intentions were.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:04 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Care to explain yourself? No idea what you mean.
Being that the Average Yank wouldn't be the least bit surprised by an ad that promises to change your life, was wondering if you might be the product of some other culture perhaps less cynical

Quote:
You think a bbq grill would change your life?
In fact just recently we were the recipient of a "smoker" to replace our old gas unit. I was puzzled though grateful since the old unit seemed to be working just fine. However it's evident that its giver considers it superior. Though it has made little difference to my immediate life, its advantages must surely have more greatly impressed the family whose beneficence we have benefited and to whom we're most beholden for their generosity
chai2

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:45 pm
@dalehileman,
Oh, you're British I take it?

To you everyone in America is a Yankee, huh?

Here's the rules are different.

I'm conflicted as far as my Yankeeism, as I was born above the Mason Dixon line, but haven't voluntarily stepped North of it (except for maybe a total of 2 weeks), in over 35 years.

And no, I'm not surprised to hear an ad that says something will change your life. I would just hope that the ad would be for something like a treatment for lung cancer, no risk sure fire birth control or a car whose byproducts clean the environment. Not for a bbq grill.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 11:41 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Oh, you're British I take it?
No, I'm a Yank. Pray why might one so assume

Quote:
The term is used that way, Chai, yes

Quote:
Here's the rules are different.
How's

Quote:
I'm conflicted as far as my Yankeeism, as I was born above the Mason Dixon line, …...
I use the term more loosely

Quote:
And no, I'm not surprised to hear an ad that says something will change your life.
Okay then, taken aback. At least impelled to address the issue at an Internet forum

Quote:
I would just hope that the ad would be for something like a treatment for lung cancer…... Not for a bbq grill.
I was merely speculating that the typical Yank is so accustomed to exaggeration as to dismiss the ad without the slightest reaction of any sort
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 12:20 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Sho' 'nuff!
dalehileman

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 01:34 pm
@contrex,
T'ank' 'ee Con
0 Replies