political correct-ness VS reality TV

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:48 am
Isn't it odd that its more of a crime to be politically incorrect, to tell things the way they really are or to laugh at the mishaps of life in general, than to air reality programs that humiliate their participants and allow the whole country to laugh at them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 757 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:40 am
I suppose it's all about perception. Personally, I hate reality shows, and I don't really understand why people are so intrigued by seeing others fail. Well, I do understand, but I think it's disgusting. I would much rather be politically incorrect, which on some level brings people together through humour, than make fun of my fellow peoples vicariously, via "reality" TV.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:20 am
I's guess that the major difference here is that people who participate in reality shows do so of their own free will knowing that they may make fools of themselves.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 08:56 am
fishin' wrote:
I's guess that the major difference here is that people who participate in reality shows do so of their own free will knowing that they may make fools of themselves.

I've seen interviews with these people after the show is over, and they say that they didn't know all the details before hand.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:07 pm
I agree, to some extent.
I don't make a habit of watching reality shows, but I did once watch American Idol - hated it.
They are so rude and mean, especially that Simon.
I can't watch stuff where people are intentionally mean to others. Yes, these people perform of their own free will, but they usually also believe they're good. It's like making fun of retarded people.
Same mindset, to me.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:17 pm
it's the price you pay for your fifteen minutes of fame

i'll just stay quietly anonymous thank you
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 05:32 am
djjd62 wrote:
it's the price you pay for your fifteen minutes of fame

i'll just stay quietly anonymous thank you

That's true. I guess I was thinking of how people are still trying to force everyone to be politically correct. It seems to me that PC should be going out of style.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:14 am
It would be PC if I were writing to the networks trying to get the show cancelled. As it is, I simply find it distasteful.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:15 am
suzy wrote:
It would be PC if I were writing to the networks trying to get the show cancelled. As it is, I simply find it distasteful.

Why would that be PC?
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:28 am
Trying to influence the networks not to air stuff which I personally find distasteful or un-PC.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 01:08 pm
How do networks get their ratings? Does anyone know?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 01:13 pm
http://www.nielsenmedia.com/

Nielson tracks the TV viewing habits of people across the US. They are now also into internet tracking. In fact, about a month ago, I was asked if I wanted to be involved in their tracking. It involved installing tracking software on my computer. I said, "No, thank you"!
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 01:28 pm
I don't think it would hurt to let tv networks know what shows you like and what shows you don't. Don't they appreciate feedback?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 03:51 pm
i remember a drew carey episode about the pc'ing of america, he was saying, what are the jokes in the future going to be, this guy and this other guy walk into this place.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 06:49 am
LOL
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » political correct-ness VS reality TV
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:15:47