Unemployment in Europe

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 06:35 am
Major problem is the increase in mass unemployment in Europe. The younger generation in particular seems to be affected by this negative trend, resulting in increased illegal immigration, rising xenophobia and a growing risk of social turmoil and political instability. These factors are estimated to be two or three times higher than in most other parts of the world, says the study. And even if people have jobs they very often only just reach the standard of the working poor - leaving gloomy perspectives for tens of millions of people
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 554 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 06:56 am
@Brown Antony Cruz,
Brown Antony Cruz wrote:

Major problem is the increase in mass unemployment in Europe. The younger generation in particular seems to be affected by this negative trend, resulting in increased illegal immigration, rising xenophobia and a growing risk of social turmoil and political instability. These factors are estimated to be two or three times higher than in most other parts of the world, says the study. And even if people have jobs they very often only just reach the standard of the working poor - leaving gloomy perspectives for tens of millions of people

Expect more of it...much more.

Our technological advances will soon make even third world labor wages seem exorbitant.

The notion that humans have to "earn their living" will have to be discarded at some point soon...but probably only after upheaval that will make nuclear war seem tame.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 03:59 pm
Unemployment and the resulting poverty are problems that the current global economy can not solve, and never will be able to solve. After the collapse we shall see what we can do about that, till then hold on to your boots, it will be a wild ride.
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 12:36 am

I'm not that pessimistic. Yes, things may get worse before they get better, but not to the point of great social upheaval. The rich aren't so because they are stupid and have no vision. They can forestall a major threat to their wealth and placate the masses when the point of self defense gets too expensive.
I would agree class warfare is becoming more and more physical, with notable riots in Greece last year, and Paris the year before. But the lack of any sustained increase in violence shows me that the powers that be can better 'read' the level of outrage and deter it offering up social programs ala Obamacare and extended unemployment benefits. The big issue now is minimum wage, and in a couple of years it will be real infrastructure jobs.
It's not lost on those who have the most to lose that Americans are increasingly buying guns and stocking up on munitions. I know I am because, well, I may be wrong. Shocked

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 01:58 am
@Jack of Hearts,
The lack of violence to this point is a result of people understanding what a powder keg they are standing over, and being afraid of the certain doom if anyone lights the fuse. But someone will.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 08:35 am
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack of Hearts wrote:

I'm not that pessimistic. Yes, things may get worse before they get better, but not to the point of great social upheaval. The rich aren't so because they are stupid and have no vision. They can forestall a major threat to their wealth and placate the masses when the point of self defense gets too expensive.
I would agree class warfare is becoming more and more physical, with notable riots in Greece last year, and Paris the year before. But the lack of any sustained increase in violence shows me that the powers that be can better 'read' the level of outrage and deter it offering up social programs ala Obamacare and extended unemployment benefits. The big issue now is minimum wage, and in a couple of years it will be real infrastructure jobs.
It's not lost on those who have the most to lose that Americans are increasingly buying guns and stocking up on munitions. I know I am because, well, I may be wrong. Shocked

I think you are wrong on this one, Jack.

I try to be optimistic on all things...but I see the makings of a world wide movement that will make what happened in France in the 18th century seem tame.

And "the rich" will no more forestall it than the aristocracy of France did back then.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 08:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
I don't see how different this is from other time of technological "upheaval".

The invention of stone tools.
The bronze age
The rise of agriculture
The Industrial revolution.
and now the internet age.

Technological innovations always displace workers, but humans always adjust. As each great leap forward has in the past, t will mean humans will have to work less to have a better standard of living... and there will be more time for artistic, intellectual and cultural pursuits.

I guess you can put me in the optimist column.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 08:54 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't see how different this is from other time of technological "upheaval".

The invention of stone tools.
The bronze age
The rise of agriculture
The Industrial revolution.
and now the internet age.

I'll take you at your word, Max...that you do not see any difference.

I am amazed...but I will take you at your word.

I see HUGE differences.

Quote:
Technological innovations always displace workers, but humans always adjust. As each great leap forward has in the past, t will mean humans will have to work less to have a better standard of living... and there will be more time for artistic, intellectual and cultural pursuits.

I guess you can put me in the optimist column.

Okay...you are in the optimistic column.
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 10:24 am

From nuclear warheads to banks too big to fail - we stand atop dozens of powder kegs - but we're Americans and, if only by the grace of God, we are special.
Yes, the French revolution is a classic example of how class warfare can collapse a civilization; but other than the concentration of wealth to the top 2%, all other similarities are pale. The French were literally starving - our govt gets hell for feeding our poor!
No, we're a very long way off from general rioting in the streets, all but 7% have a job to go to, and half of them had a job and are going to again. If Europe were one country as ours, and their countries were as our states, would they still have pockets of abject misery - or would their govt, as ours, redistribute the wealth?
We're America, we're some kind of different.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 10:40 am
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack of Hearts wrote:

From nuclear warheads to banks too big to fail - we stand atop dozens of powder kegs - but we're Americans and, if only by the grace of God, we are special.
Yes, the French revolution is a classic example of how class warfare can collapse a civilization; but other than the concentration of wealth to the top 2%, all other similarities are pale. The French were literally starving - our govt gets hell for feeding our poor!
No, we're a very long way off from general rioting in the streets, all but 7% have a job to go to, and half of them had a job and are going to again. If Europe were one country as ours, and their countries were as our states, would they still have pockets of abject misery - or would their govt, as ours, redistribute the wealth?
We're America, we're some kind of different.

Okay...I will put you in the optimistic column...AND IN the we Americans are some kind of different column also.

Go to this thread and play the tape. I think you will find it interesting.

http://able2know.org/topic/233734-1

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 10:43 am
@hawkeye10,
I wish!
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 11:56 am
@Olivier5,
What is your explanation for why we in the developed west are so passive and well behaved as our leaders fail us, as a way of life decays?

Did you see the report a few days ago that the EU is wrecked with corruption (as if this is news after Greece)? Were is the outrage? Were is the determination to fix what is broken?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 12:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think we miss is an ideology, a vision, of what we need to do. In this post-communist era, there's no alternative view of society to enthrall and enthuse the people among us dissatisfied with the status quo. It's not enough to be pissed off at the present. We need a reform agenda that would make sense and that would not be the same old same old communism or fascism. The occupy wall street crowd tried something like that but they failed to come up with a manisfesto.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Unemployment in Europe
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 11:58:26