Generation Gap, Interactions and Toastmasters

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:36 pm
I've always wanted to join Toastmasters (well-known worldwide public speaking group) to improve my communication skills. Unfortunately, I haven't done it because several people have told me that most of the people there are over 40, and I've always felt uneasy around people in that age range.

Any pointers on how to get over my 'uneasiness', and join the group since it'll help me in the long run?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 675 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:40 pm
If you are going to go in for public speaking, your audience might well be of diverse ages. It might be very good for you to become comfortable in the controlled environment of the group.

The next thing that you might want to consider is WHY you feel uncomfortable. Are you aware that the people in A2K run the gamut of ages?
0 Replies

Blackie Chan

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 03:26 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If you are going to go in for public speaking, your audience might well be of diverse ages. It might be very good for you to become comfortable in the controlled environment of the group.

The next thing that you might want to consider is WHY you feel uncomfortable. Are you aware that the people in A2K run the gamut of ages?

I'm aware that there are different age groups on A2K, but that's online so it's completely different.

I probably feel uncomfortable because a lot of people that I've met in that age group are witty. Always having something witty to say, forcing me to reply with a witty remark. I'm not good at 'thinkin on my feet' so I rarely make a decent reply.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 04:26 pm
Blackie, the only people I've ever known who joined Toastmaster's were in their 20's, but that was nearly 20 years ago.

Why don't you come practice with some Toronto A2K'ers? We're getting together for a meal next Saturday afternoon - Kim Hoa on Spadina. It looks like it will be the ages will be from lateish 20's up.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 06:42 pm
Blackie_Chan- Only a few lucky folks are "born witty". For most of us, it is an acquired skill. The fortyish people have had many years to hone their skills. I would bet, that if you got to know a few of them, you would find that at an earlier age, it was just as difficult for them to be "witty" as it is for you.

If you really want something, IMO you need to take a risk. Many older people enjoy mentoring younger ones. Try it, and don't give up. You have nothing to lose. Good luck!
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 10:40 pm
Hi Blackie
I sat in on a local meeting recently. The ages varied a lot. There were a couple younger people in there. You aren't expected to be witty, you know!
Join! You'll be fine!
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:31 am
I've sat in on TMs meetings. I'll be joining myself shortly. I suck at public speaking...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:41 am
Blackie, I know someone in her late twenties who was a member. She enjoyed it thoroughly. Give it a try.

Hmmmm. I miss public speaking. I haven't done it for a while. A great natural high.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:00 am
I love public speaking. Haven't done enough of it in the last year or so, and miss it.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:01 am
You guys must be good at it, then! Smile
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Generation Gap, Interactions and Toastmasters
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:04:52