Is sexual addiction real or media hype?

Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:13 pm
Sexual addiction is not recognized by the DSM as a true addiction. Lately we see in the media celebrities that claim to suffer from this condition. What are your thoughts?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:54 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Sexual addiction is not recognized by the DSM as a true addiction. Lately we see in the media celebrities that claim to suffer from this condition. What are your thoughts?

I think it is real.

I used to suffer from it, but now that I am old, I've managed to get it under control.

But I am still hoping to have an erection lasting more than four hours so I can immediately contact the New York Times.
Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I guess I think there is a difference between compulsion and addiction. And wonder is it simply poor impulse control, hormones what?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:05 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

I guess I think there is a difference between compulsion and addiction. And wonder is it simply poor impulse control, hormones what?

Beats me! (Pun intended.)
Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I guess I wonder how you decided it was an addiction...after all most of us love sex
jcboy

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:12 pm
@Germlat,
I don't know if it's real or not but I do know there's a lot of whores in this town.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:13 pm
@Germlat,
sexual addiction has little to do with sex.
Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:20 pm
@PUNKEY,
Please explain further
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:24 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

I guess I wonder how you decided it was an addiction...after all most of us love sex

I will leave you wondering. But I think it was an addiction at one time. So did many of the go-go dancers!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:45 pm
@Germlat,
http://psychcentral.com/lib/what-causes-sexual-addiction/000744
Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:50 pm
@PUNKEY,
I guess what you're trying to say is you believe it to be real based on the description on psych central?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 12:24 am
A worthwhile read:

http://thoughtsofasimplecitizen.blogspot.com/2013/02/book-review-out-of-shadows.html

Patrick Carnes discusses elements common to all addiction.
Germlat

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 09:29 am
@neologist,
Sexual addiction is not recognized as that under the DSM. So mental health experts didn't feel it fit the criteria of addiction. There is a hyper sexual disorder listed..I think it's considered more of a behavioral disorder..has elements of poor impulse control and poor frustration tolerance. Do you think it's possible people resort to calling and addiction and blame it on the "disease" to deflect attention . It it easier than admitting fault and assuming accountability . Lately I see cases such as the Tiger Woods incident , it seemed more as a way of shedding off some of the culpability in a desperate attempt to save a relationship.
neologist

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:37 pm
@Germlat,
I'm on my phone right now, so I'll start with just one:
Addicts commonly have a self image that allows them to think they are totally alone in their life problems, no one understands, and they must operate in private.
Germlat

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:45 pm
@neologist,
Many people feel this way without being addicts ...but having said that I do feel empathy with those who feel alone.
neologist

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:34 pm
@Germlat,
Quite true.
Addictions are treatable.
Perhaps not easily.
But they are treatable. Underlying psychological issues may cause problems, however.
Germlat

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:42 pm
@neologist,
Ok guess I differ in opinion..I think it's a cop out..and if you can't be honest from the get go..then what are the chances of success?! I see you're quite kind but people will manipulate you to believe in their excuses.
neologist

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:46 pm
@Germlat,
The first step in treating any addiction is honesty.

Germlat

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:48 pm
@neologist,
The first step in dealing with truth is honesty..I'm not yet convinced this is an addiction.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:53 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Sexual addiction is not recognized as that under the DSM. So mental health experts didn't feel it fit the criteria of addiction. There is a hyper sexual disorder listed..I think it's considered more of a behavioral disorder..has elements of poor impulse control and poor frustration tolerance. Do you think it's possible people resort to calling and addiction and blame it on the "disease" to deflect attention . It it easier than admitting fault and assuming accountability . Lately I see cases such as the Tiger Woods incident , it seemed more as a way of shedding off some of the culpability in a desperate attempt to save a relationship.

Jesus H. Christ...I hope you realize I have just been kidding about this! I thought the entire thread was a joke...just screwing around. I was screwing around back at ya.

If you are actually serious...good luck with it. Better it should be a joke.

1. Forums
  2. » Is sexual addiction real or media hype?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:50:59