Microbiology super bugs

Germlat

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:15 am
MRSE is becoming prevalent in the community setting. Stricter preventative guidelines should be instituted for public facilities. Physicians's loose practice of unnecessary dispensation of antibiotics needs to be addressed. The national standard in prevention of nosocomial diseases is not up to date, although there is a growing effort by state regulatory agencies to track the problem. Are infection control processes truly efficient? I believe infection prevention policies are barely meeting a minimum standard in the acute and long term settings. Research data indicates the adherence of microbes to soft surfaces may be the most relevant culprit in cross contamination. Silver mesh fabrics seem to offer an immense reduction of contamination as indicated in different studies...but is it cost effective? Their use should be instituted in critical settings where mortality is a concern. Individuals in these settings are frail and easily succumb to these opportunistic diseases . Healthcare personnel should be routinely screened as they may be carriers of these illnesses. In some European countries , this practice has become routine but not pervasively adopted through out healthcare facilities.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 709 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:05 pm
@Germlat,
"Are infection control processes truly efficient?"
"but is it cost effective?"
MRSE either is a problem in a healthcare facility, or it is not. The number of cases in a facility is not particularly indicative of poor sanitation, as it is in the persistence of the strain.

IMO, the effectiveness of control processes is acceptably high, (except if you know of someone infected, than they are horrible).
The same mindset goes for the budgeting fighting MRSE. It's a case of, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
The 'awareness' along with the time and money spent on breast cancer, is far atop the list for preventable deaths - but it's ninth in the order of causes.
What can I say? People like breasts more than colons - and so it goes.

Germlat

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:41 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
If you've lived it no..the control of infectious processes is actually so screwed up it makes you question the system. All data can be manipulated ..but the end of the day you realize what purpose it serves.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:42 pm
@Germlat,
Let's talk VRE, MRSA in critical care units
Germlat

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:59 pm
@Germlat,
Is it enough to obtain a swab from longterm care patients for MRSA/VRE upon admission to an acute care setting ? How about routinely testing health care personnel ( including physicians ). This is done in Norway amongst other countries . Personnel who are carriers of these diseases are treated and not allowed to returned until cleared. Why is this not the standard in the U.S.?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 04:16 pm
@Germlat,
Clostridium difficile is also a big culprit, and probably others I don't remember, but I haven't looked up if it is an official super bug - is that a clinical term now? is that what VRE relates to?

On Norway's care, sounds good so far. We in the U.S. are in a country where health personnel who don't want to be vaccinated for this and that get to wear
masks. The hospitals I know are in stress modes from a lot of directions.
Germlat

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Definitely C-diff is very tough because in isolation situations it is extremely contagious and also very common after strong antibiotic use. Unfortunately. No vaccinations exist for some of the tough ones: VRE, MRSA, etc. vaccinations recommended for healthcare personnel ..usually for the flu...required: Hepatitis series, MMR, DPT vaccinations (really more for the provider protection)and annual screening for Tuberculosis. But MRSA screening should also be required. Healthcare providers are exposed to so much. In Europe some hospitals screen and don't allow providers who are carriers of MRSA to return to work until cleared. Still these bugs live in curtains, linens, uniforms, patient gowns. Silver mesh fabrics cut cross contamination drastically. Some of these bugs are extremely difficult to treat and are resistant to even broad spectrum antibiotics.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:26 pm
@Germlat,
I know, I know, I just don't know the answers, in long term wisdom.
I've a bacteriology degree, not a poor one but older now, knew about resistance way back when, try to listen to what is going on now, but am not clear on what is smart, no matter who says what.

This isn't a blank slate here on a2k, we have people we care a lot about dealing with this.

Despite your lack of wanting to know who we are, this is a community here, of sorts. Lot of hell raisers, generally.
Germlat

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 10:38 pm
@ossobuco,
First of all I come here for momentary entertainment only. I enjoy listening to other peoples ideas. I not interested to find my place in some foolish on line forum hierarchy. As far as not being interested in "us"...what are you..a committee representative?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 10:53 pm
@Germlat,
I'm reactive to your posts. In some ways I like them, as there's a mind there, which of course you don't care that I or anyone would notice.

I notice even those who gripe at each other here getting attached, sort of like nettles.

You come here quavering and then trying to set us straight and then try to lecture.

I can understand that.

A lot of us are representative, as many of us are loudmouths, and the quiet ones are the danger. We're fairly international from time to time. Takes a while.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 02:45 am
@Germlat,
I have mrse and I got it as far as I know while I was in icu.
Germlat

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 07:54 am
@trying2learn,
How long were you there and for what reason?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Microbiology super bugs
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 06:13:39