Why do women make less than men?

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 12:02 am
I was looking at the US Census Bureau and there are large differences in the median person income for males compared to females. Why is this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 369 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 12:44 am
@PinkLipstick,
Read this, then ask any questions you may still have.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male%E2%80%93female_income_disparity_in_the_United_States
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 11:51 am
@PinkLipstick,
Pink, it's because until only recently us guys were in charge. Now however it's becoming increasingly apparent to the female contingent, having acqsuired means for preserving sperm and lifting heavy objects, that we're not entirely necessary
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 03:12 pm
@PinkLipstick,
PinkLipstick wrote:

I was looking at the US Census Bureau and there are large differences in the median person income for males compared to females. Why is this?

In my opinion, based on my own readings, when a respective career field opens up to women, the pay scale is lessened. This allows business to hire more women into the field, yet not pay the higher pay scale that men once commanded.

For example, in the beginning of the 20th century, the job of "secretary" was a male job, whereby the male was basically the understudy to the current President of the company, to eventually take the place of the retiring President of the company. "Secretary" evolved into a woman's position that assisted the President of the company, at a lower pay scale than the males previously commanded, with no intention of the secretary ever being the understudy for the existing President of the company.

Also, since with the medical field being revamped, and costs are being scrutinized, I would guess that there will be more female doctors in the future, and then the pay scale of doctors will be lessened, from the historical situation that male doctors commanded a high pay scale. Decent wages, but not the historical high, in my opinion.

Or, in the world of teaching, it has been said that due to union contracts won, in certain cities, the pay scale for a female teacher is considered a "decent" salary for an educated woman. The inference being that it is not really a "decent" salary for the male teachers.

Why is this so? In my opinion, since business has the goal of maximizing profits, it can pay women less, since so many women, due to responsibilities of raising children, and being a second income, are in a bad bargaining position to command the salary that might reflect males being in an organization longer, and getting more promotions (note that women used to not get a salary increase, since an organization thought a woman was more likely to leave to have a family, or why promote her, for that matter, for the same reason). In effect, to maintain the males in an organization, many males need to see "opportunity," or they would leave. Many women tend to stay in one job if they are "comfortable (aka, nice working conditions, friendly people, nice boss), in my opinion.

The way to get out of this debacle, in my opinion, is for a woman to get the education/training needed in whatever career field, and then be dedicated to that job. Obviously, many woman "balance" their career between family, home, and career, so an organization can hire a woman, but not pay her the same as the man that supposedly has more financial (family) responsibilities, and would then leave the organization, if he did not see promotional opportunity (due to needs of being the primary bread winner).

Since many woman outlive men, the lifetime earnings can be equalized, if a woman is a professional, and chooses not to retire. A man, after a certain age, might not have the health to keep working. The race does not always go to the swift, as in the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

All in my opinion, of course.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why do women make less than men?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:47:33