Grammar Nazi in Latvia.

arKan

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 08:18 am
After Holocaust terror and ban on Jewish culture communities existence in Soviet epoch in 1988 Riga Jewish Community was founded and officially registered at last. Presently it is considered to be the biggest one in Baltic countries, having about 8 thousand members or so. We've got our own cultural centre and a theatre even.
But I suspect this is no joy for Latvian nationalistic elements still strong in Latvia and Riga in particular. Fancy they force us to take exams in Latvian to enjoy the full citizenship status and practice our profession! I'm an actor and Latvian is actually essential component of my profession. I've got better command of Latvian than many 100% Latvians! Still I can't pass this damned language exam! Next week I am to make yet another, the fourth try! My colleagues of the Jewish background have same problem.
Those Latvians, they simply make it impossible for us to stay in our profession in this country! You know, if I fail it again I won't be trusted even a minor role in Latvian. Of course I take part in all the Jewish language and Russian language performances. But there are so few of them at our theater and you can't get much money on it.
I was 15 when we moved to Riga from Kaliningrad region of Russia. After death of our aged relatives we inherited a nice flat in the centre of Riga. And so my parents who liked it very much made up this decision to move into here. Now I think they'd rather not! Despite the fact Latvia is a EU member now we can't feel safe here. Latvian citizens in this country are still keeping to nationalistic vision unfortunately! You can hardly call this a friendly for Jews environment now.
Oh ... and those Waffen SS marches occurring annually is a really nasty thing for all the Jews here!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 411 • Replies: 0
No top replies

1. Forums
  2. » Grammar Nazi in Latvia.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:33:26