Prevent search engines from indexing your site by IP address

zoomsan

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:03 pm
They are PERFECTLY relevant. The modifications done by your program (mod_rewrite rules) affect the way the URLs are able to be called. Perhaps I should move this to the mod_rewrite thread? I am using your rules, and there is a flaw as I specificed above.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:08 pm
1) mod_rewrite rules are not a program, and certainly not "my program"

2) your problems are due to rules I made for you as a favor and that I do not use. I repeat, I have no use for the rewrite rules that I provided for you at your request.

3) I personally am unlikely to help you in the future as I think you are being rude about it so posting it elsewhere is not going to make me any more likely to write any rewrite rules for you.
0 Replies

zoomsan

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:30 pm
Rude? It said in the instructions to post here if we had problems. I logically implemented your support due to the program you wrote which INCLUDES mod_rewrite rules. The logic was unsuccessful, and in the manual it says to post on the board if you need help. So, I waited a month and now am posting again.

I apologize if this seems rude. This was the thought pattern involved.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 02:08 am
The instructions are for a wholly different rewrite rule zoomsan.

This thread is an example of a rewrite conditional to prevent search engines from indexing IP addresses.

You wanted something different, you wanted code to redirect accesses without the www. subdomain to a url that would use the www subdomain.

I helped you with this, and helped you implement it with your initial problems with it.

By the time you ran into additional problems I was no longer available to write code for you yet you keep bumping this and acting as if I have an obligation to write code for you that I neither use nor find useful (the search engines I care about have no problems with the sites I maintain in regard to the www. subdomain).

You are claiming that it is part of the software I release, which I have undertaken the responsibility to support but this is untrue.

You are having problems with code I provided exclusively at your request. It is not a part of my SEO code and is not part of the example IP rewrite I gave in this thread.

I do consider it rude to act as though I have the obligation to write code for you just because I have helped you in the past.

I don't want to take on obligations to write your code just because you act like it's part of software I released and have taken responsibility for supporting.

If I have the time in the future to help write rewrite codes for you I will gladly do so. However repeatedly bumping an unrelated thread just because I helped you in the past is not going to make it happen.

If I neglect to help you it is because I lack the time or expertise to do so at a particular time, and claiming it is part of code I do support is not fair, as I have undertaken the responsibility to support specific code for free when I have the time, I have not given carte blanche for anyone I have ever helped to demand or insist that I write code for them again.

It's not uncommon for technical boards to disallow repetitive "bumping". It comes across as lazy and selfish even if you might not mean it that way.

Helping you solve problems is work. People who can solve these problems generally have work of their own that needs doing but many like to help where they can and assist others in their learning.

But a repeated bump can rub people the wrong way, because it seems the user doesn't want to put any effort into said work themself and wants to merely keep nagging others to do it for them.

I think nagging is an accurate way of describing it.

I like to help people and feel bad when I can't, I don't decide not to because I think it would be fun to watch you with an unresolved issue and nagging me to help you doesn't make me feel any better about it.

The bumping is often disliked not only because it hijacks a thread or board with repetitive and useless posts but because it's like nagging others to do work for you for free.

I do appreciate that you didn't do the daily or even hourly bump that some do, but the situations that cause me to be unable to write code for others persist.

I need to manage my time.

I have a few obligations I maintain, like supporting my SEO mod or supporting Able2Know which I do in my free time.

I just now spent a long time testing alternatives for you and didn't happen upon a solution. I have to cut it short because it's late and I have work to do before I go to bed (plus I'd like to check out the musical keyboard I got today).

If I have time in the future I may give it another crack at it, if not I'm sorry but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:30 pm
Bump/
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 03:56 pm
Why the bump?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:46 pm
Perversity.
0 Replies

hedgehog

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 05:35 pm
Hi can you help?
Here is my .htaccess
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^.*domain\.com [NC]
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.domain.com/forum/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteRule ^forum.* index.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^mark-forum([0-9]*).html* viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]

htaccess is is in the public html folder. My forum is located www.domain.com/forum

My problem is that when you click on a category that points to an html file it comes up with a 404 error. Does this have to do with the htaccess file? Onces a user is logged in the forum works fine... ANy thoughts???

Thanks for your time
0 Replies

hedgehog

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 06:48 pm
Think i fixed the problem... Just uploaded the htaccess into the "forum" directory and it worked...
0 Replies

hedgehog

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 07:34 pm
Posted in already in this forum (http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44896&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40). Didn't know where to put it.
Hi,
I'm trying to get this mod rewrite to work... Everything looks ok.. I don't get any errors but the when you click on the html link, it doesn't generate the html code, it acts like it is going to work but after a 4-6 second pause it brings you back to the forum index. So, guests don't get any errors but they can't go anywhere expect view the index... Any thoughts?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 03:15 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Perversity.

Ahh, I just noticed that the preceeding post had been about bumping. I'd just seen a bump of a very old topic with my post being last and wondered what it was about.
0 Replies

Asylum

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:42 pm
rewrite
In regards to the poster with the www[.]domain[.]com to domain.com issue. I think what he was looking for can be achieved by one of the rewrites I posted about on my site. I think this one should do

Code:# To permanently redirect all traffic from www[.]domain[.]com to domain.com
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.(.*)$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://%1/$1 [R=301,L]

If not you can check out the rest here Edit: Moderator: Link removed

Hope that helps someone
0 Replies

UnfixedHazard

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:26 pm
hey, your mod works GREAT! Its works perfectly. One thing I don't know how to do... is rewrite a url. For a post on a forum, is there a way to make a link such as domain.com be rewritten to mysite.com/forum/seo.php?url=domain.com. thanks Smile. Also, sorry if I am boosting this topic Sad.
0 Replies