LED Landscape Lighting

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 06:14 pm
Hi all.
I have several SNOC 12V Landscape lights along the pathway. They use 18W incandescent bayonet mount bulbs similar to those used on cars' brake/tail lights. I recently purchased some LED replacement bulbs but someone told me that it isn't good for the transformer if it is not putting out the same power that it is used to which is also the reason you should replace the burnt out bulbs right away. Is this true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,246 • Replies: 4
No top replies

edknows

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 10:56 pm
@whatsnew,
No its not true. The LED replacement bulb will draw less current than the equivalent incandescent; which is the benefit of LED bulbs as well as their long service life. It won't hurt the transformer.

What it does mean is that you will have more capacity to add more lights with your current transformer.

I put an LED landscape light system at my house. I put in 2o path and up lights. There were a few runs of over 100 feet. I was able to buy a smaller transformer for the LED lights since they drew less current (even at the long runs) than with incandescent lights..

I have had no problems at all. Its important to get good fixtures though.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 10:39 am
@edknows,
Ed, do they indeed make an LED that works at 12v and do you suppose that's what What has on hand
Decon123

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 02:16 am
@dalehileman,
Not any idea on lighting.
0 Replies

nakeme

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 12:38 am
@whatsnew,
I would like to recommend you a website http://www.preciselightingstore.com/ there you can know more about LED lighting.
0 Replies