Trying to Understand Friend's Obamacare Predicament...

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 02:09 pm
Just curious as to whether there might be some feedback on this that would give me a clearer picture of what my friend's situation might be.

My friend (Mainly thru Facebook nowadays...went to high school together many years ago.) and I are on opposite sides of the Obamacare argument, he is very much against the ACA and I'm very much for it. We do a fair amount of social media sparring over Obamacare. He tells me that, since the inception of Obamacare, he is looking at $8000 per year for family healthcare coverage plus a reduction in the quality of these benefits. This is in Texas, He is approx. 56 or 57 yrs old, and has 2 kids as far as I know....one may be over 26 and the other is still at home. Based on that info, is there any way of putting together a picture of what his income may be in conjunction with other factors which may have caused his premiums/coverage level to be what he claims they are under the provisions of the ACA? On the one hand, I don't want to call into question what he's telling me if he has truly fallen between the cracks in a system which is putting him into a situation of financial hardship. On the other hand, I suspect these claims may be born of some amount of partisan smokescreening. For example, if he's pulling down six figures per year and looking at downgrading stuff like number of jet skis or motorbikes in order to comply with the ACA's individual mandate, I'm not going to cut him any slack. My wife and I are looking at possibly cutting our monthly entertainment outlay in half because of Obamacare but we're glad to do it because it's the first hope I've ever had to have healthcare coverage given my situation. Any discussion of this would be most appreciated. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 850 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 02:41 pm
@RBaldwin,
His problem begins here:

Quote:
This is in Texas
RBaldwin

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 12:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
Lol. Texas is a world apart for sure sometimes!

Curious though, are you thinking that the problem begins in the fact that he's in Texas because of Texas' refusal of the Medicaid expansion associated with the ACA specifically or that perhaps my friend is caught up in anti Obama sentiment in general which such a prevalent attitude in the South and Texas? Other?
InsuranceLady

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 10:17 am
@RBaldwin,
All Repulican states (perhaps with the exception of California) seem to not be going for the Healthcare law. I think that is hilarious as Obamacare is based off of Romeycare (a Republican). I also think that it is slightly sad that the poorest in the county (in my humble opinion, those less likely to vote and unable to contribute to campaign funds) are not given consideration by their state. Yes, I agree very much that the government has no right, authority or responsibility for my life and the way I live it and I think the government should tread carefully in the powers it takes for itself. However, I also think that it is shameful in a world and country were their is plenty for all for anyone to go without the basics of life, including access to medical care.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Trying to Understand Friend's Obamacare Predicament...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:04:30