For Aquinas, how does God "the unmoved mover" move others?

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 07:30 am
I am not referring to refutation of his argument, i want to know, in St. Thomas Aquinas's account, how does God move other things, since motion is nothing but a reduction from potency to act, of which thereof presupposes a preceding mover, and since an infinite regress of mover is not possible of which makes God the first mover? How does God move others? by means of his will,etc.?

I need someone who knows Aquinas, his works Summa theologica and Summa Contra Gentiles.

P.S. I'm not looking for refutations, and please no theory of relativity or newtonian or anything. I want to know Aquinas's account for this, what are his statements.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,916 • Replies: 1
No top replies

tacitus7

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 04:51 pm
@NikAlonto21,
It is an excellent question. Sometimes all we can say is that we know that a thing is, but not know how it is. For example, a Thomist would say that we can know that God exists, but how he exists is beyond us. I believe we must say the same when it comes to the issue of how he moves or creates. We know that he creates and moves things from potency into act, but how...we do not know. This is at least my understanding of it. I have a B.A. in Philosophy that focused especially upon Aristotle and St. Thomas. That being said, I'm not saying I am an expert in this by any means.
0 Replies