1912 eighth grade exam: Could you make it to high school in 1912?

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 01:52 pm
@Setanta,
The "Lost Colony Center for Research" has undertaken a DNA study of any Descendants of the Croatans to evaluate whether that story is correct or not. The English artifcts found in old Croatan Village sites may hve been from simple trade or having overrun the Colony and not "hooking up"
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 02:14 pm
Well, most of the ones I got wrong (and I got the average - 54%) were USA questions, and like Jes, got some right and some wrong with the "two choices left" ones. I never studied US history as in who settled what state, and specific geography. The other geography ones I did 100% in (Balkan states and mountain ranges). I found I had to do a lot of guessing!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 02:50 pm
Thoroughly disgusted. I have a computer compatability problem with the Christian Science Monitor. Got frozen a few times. Finally gave up. I was doing OK until I got to the Balkan states. I have enough trouble recognizing United States states. I gotta know one Balkan state from another?

Phooey.

PS: I got the math questions right. Some kinda miracle.
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 04:51 pm
@Roberta,
an example of how we were taught to do math "As many ways as we could" , that question of "boys being 2/3 of the gilrs population" was mot easily done by dividing the boys number in half and to then compare against the value of "thirds" for the girl.
I remember when I got to Public school , after being indoctrinate by the Jezzies, public school math was a total rote subject with no bouts of creativity like Id recalled from Catholic school.

Math is like music or art.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 05:23 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
I have a computer compatibility problem with the Christian Science Monitor

Niu? They knew you were a Yid?
Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 05:33 pm
@Ragman,
I might be, but my computer is nondenominational.

My parents often remarked that the education I was getting in public school was inferior to the one they got in the same public school system. In some ways they were right.

My father was born in 1905, so he would have been in school in 1912. He never made it to eighth grade. He dropped out to get a job. I skipped eighth grade, so the only member of my immediate family who was in the eighth grade was my mudder.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 05:36 pm
I did 70%. Considering I quit school on my 16TH birthday and had very poor grades my final year, I don't feel embarrassed.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 05:40 pm
@Roberta,
Interesting to read that. My Dad had graduated HS at age 16 in or around 1927 in central Mass. I think his education level was good and he had skipped a grade. He entered college at 17 yrs of age but had to drop out of college at age 19 due to the Depression and a young marriage.

The funny thing is that when I graduated H.S. (Boston 'burbs) in 1968 and my ex-wife (Boston 'burbs) in 1972, she felt my HS was better than hers. We both commented that 5 yrs later there was a further sharp drop in the quality of HS education. Fast forward a bit further...in 1995-96 I helped my then-g/f child who was 16 with an English composition homework. I was appalled at what I saw from that experience. She was an average student in a good school system, too.
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:11 pm
@Ragman,
whats a gerund? Do I need one? Where can I get one? What caliber do you suggest?
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:17 pm
@farmerman,
For the most part we all have that as a high percentage are born with a gender. Some need new assignments, however. Talk about changing your mind!
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:19 pm
@Ragman,
Take a Walk on the Wild Side.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
Was that Lalo Schfrin?

Guess not, probably Elmer Bernstein.
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Didn't he conduct or was involved with West Side Story? Bernstien East and West.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:36 pm
@Ragman,
I thought that was Leonard Bernstein..
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:37 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm just riffing. Confusing, aren't I?

Of course, you're correct, Elmer conducted too... 'Thoroughly Modern Milly', etc. Apparently they were called Bernstein East and West.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:43 pm
@Ragman,
I'm just riffing too.

But wait, the football game is on.
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
It's OK.. I know how this one will turn out.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 07:04 pm
@ossobuco,
hahaha! Lalo Schifrin..."Theme from Mission: Impossible"
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 07:20 pm
@Ragman,
He did a lot. I used to like him but naturally I forget the details.
raprap

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 07:22 pm
84--made it to high school--stupid balkans.

Rap
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 08:23:20