Trick Or Treat?

Pitter

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 05:09 pm
I had in issue with my computer that inspired me to call Avast, the antivirus program I run. The gentleman on the help line took control of my computer and began to look around. Before long he showed me pages of errors on my machine that should be cleaned up. In fact Avast "help" could do the job for $169.99. I agreed and another individual began downloading and using various cleanup tools. An hour and a half later the job was done and my computer was we suppose clean as a whistle. So was this a scam to get a hundred and seventy bucks or was it a legitimate activity? I certainly don't have the knowledge to look for the stuff on my computer that he supposedly found and thereby confirm that they did something useful. Any thoughts on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 434 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 05:18 pm
@Pitter,
I've had something similar occur a few times in the last 12 yrs (computer virus that locked up my computer). A local repair place...storefront...took my computer and charged me $95.

IMHO, they overcharged you by about $70 based on local northeastern US standards. In Columbia...? Well... I see no reason for them to charge more.
Pitter

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 02:36 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you Ragman. I don't think the price had anything to do with Colombia I think it's their going rate where ever you are. I have no idea where the gentleman I was speaking with on the phone was physically located. I'm not aware of any difference in performance so wonder if there really were issues and if they did something about them. The reason I called was because I was getting a pop up window saying it was time to renew my Avast antivirus while according to my account it wasn't due until 2014. That at least was fixed.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Trick Or Treat?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:43:05