Broken underground power line and dead trees

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 06:42 am
My land was under water for a couple of weeks due to heavy rains. I have an underground power line that runs from transformer to my home. I suddenly had several trees die close to this power line. I discovered the power line was broken. Could the discharge of electric current from the power line and the combination of wet ground have killed the trees? The guy from electric company said no, however, my electrician said yes. If so, I want the electric company to be responsible for cutting down the dead trees. However, I feel I am going to have a fight on my hands unless I have real proof this could be the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 474 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Herald

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 07:02 am
@debbiepickett,
RE: Could the discharge of electric current from the power line and the combination of wet ground have killed the trees?
Yes, it is possible. If you have two conductors and salty soil between them there is electricity leakage that can fry everything ... not only trees. If there is some leakage there must be some evidences for it, on the electric meter of the switch-board (if it has fiscal memory).
But this may not be the only reason. If the rain has been acid (too much CO2, NO2 and SO2 dissolved in the water) your trees would have been dried ... with or without the electric cable.
The dying trees are very serious indication that we are the next ones, for we breathe the very same air that has caused the acid rain.
You can investigate the case - see whether the cause of the death is from the roots (electric underground current) or from the branches (the acid rain causing defoliation). You can also take samples of the soil within the roots and see what is its conductivity. Besides electricians you may consult also a botanist or a phytobiologist, and an environmentalist.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Broken underground power line and dead trees
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 06:31:38