Hitchens destroys God

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 01:28 am
Quote:
Fresco said: The point Hitchens makes about the altruism of religions is that it is an insult to our humanity and intelligence to assume that the origins such concepts is "divine" and has not been arrived at by secular social interactions or genetic propensities

But why should Hitchens and atheists CARE?
Christianity poses no threat to atheists so what are they worried about?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 01:41 am
@Jpsy,
Jpsy wrote:
Are you saying your omniscient, omnipotent, & omnipresent God got it wrong in the Old Testament. . ...
No. The law was necessary to identify the Christ: "So the Law became our guardian leading to Christ, so that we might be declared righteous through faith. 25 But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a guardian." (Galatians 3: 24,25)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 01:54 am
@fresco,
You must really be committed to your point to have posted it twice. But that's OK, I got it the first time.

One does not need religion to lead a righteous life:

"For when people of the nations, who do not have law, do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. 15 They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them . . ." (Romans 2:15)

Precisely why those good people should try to understand Revelation 18:4 so they can save themselves when the time comes.
fresco

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 02:08 am
@neologist,
Sorry for the duplicate.....but note that all "I's" are committed to an ephemeral "something". And an "I" committed to what it considers to be permanent is likely to dig its heels in.

Can you not see that phrases like "when the time comes" are predicated on the human genetic disposition to forward planning via complex language and the psychological construct called "time" ? Note that killer whales, like humans, also display both altruism and sadistic tendencies.
neologist

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 11:39 am
@fresco,
It's true that I have committed myself to something I believe permanent. But my concept of time is likely not the same as that of God. Surely not the same, since He considers a thousand years as a day.

According to Genesis, the seventh creative day is ongoing.
fresco

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 12:02 pm
@neologist,
1.Assigning the psychological construct we call "time" to any aspect of the operation of a deity is surely underscoring that the deity itself is such a construction.

2.The attraction of the permanent/absolute...the relinquishment of "our control"... is of course the nebulous solution to our realization of our limited control, and the insurance policy against the likelihood of our insignificance of our existence. And who would want consider that their insurance premiums had been paid in vain ? Smile
neologist

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 12:32 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
1.Assigning the psychological construct we call "time" to any aspect of the operation of a deity is surely underscoring that the deity itself is such a construction. . . .
I have always been of the unsubstantiated belief that the Creator has fabricated within us our perception of time (and space) so we may have a functional perception of "reality" that may or may not correspond with whatever we may call cosmic truth. Whether we may peer into that deeper truth seems a probable speculation, IMHO.
fresco

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 02:18 pm
@neologist,
I understand why you would need such to insert such clauses in the insurance contract. But I suggest that the contract has been, and will continue to be in a state of constant revision for however long our species continues exists in its present mutant form with its particular psychological and social needs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 02:23 pm
Have you been down to local this evening, Fresca? Re-read your post, it's a mess.
neologist

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 02:43 pm
@Setanta,
That reminds me. I've been having a heck of a time trying to enroll Carole in Obamacan't. She just needs 7 months before Medicare. Ahh. Government, where would we be without it?
0 Replies

Joona

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 06:13 pm
@Chumly,
Yeah its very easy to destroy someones touhts if YOU play debating youtself.
Seriously what if that guy really went like on church to say that he wouldnt make it well. I got pretty good arguements for god and i bet many other has too.
Even kid knows debating alone is easy.
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:03 pm
@Joona,
Well Joona, trying going on youtube and searching for "Hitchens debate" or the like.

You'll see plenty of videos to suit your need for another person to be present.

It's not as if this is the only time Hitchens has ever been filmed.

0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:03 pm
@Chumly,
Just learn something today: His atheist brother has converted to Christianity. He was every bit the atheist. That alone destroys H. Check it out and see how he has turned on his brother. Not nice at all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:08 pm
@AugustineBrother,
You provide one example of an atheist converting to christianity, but the opposite is true.
http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/
AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
If that is a picture of Twain you have him all wrong. He did not die a scorner of Faith (Even if you will)
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:27 pm
@Setanta,
You don't get it....HIS BROTHER who shared his lifelong atheism has conveted !! to Jesus ! To Christianity
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hey, Neo, did you and Chumly ever get to meet for coffee? (None of my business, of course)
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 04:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Id like to be a fly on the wall in THAT coffee shop :-)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 05:01 pm
@Leadfoot,
Neo and I are age twins and disagree on this and that and then that; I know Chumly slightly less, but always glad to see him. We have argued, I forget about what. No negs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 05:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
Bunches of a2kers have met in the past. Not very often, years go by - I don't remember any knifings and I've gotten to a few of those meets.. When I met people, it was fun, and people varied re opinions.
I have a particular memory of Thomas meeting Joe from Chicago... across the table from me. I was probably quiet. I happen to like them both.