Kansas Topography

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 06:51 pm
Hello, i'm writing a novel. The setting of the novel is a small heavy religious town where there are alot of wheat fields around. To my intuition I told myself it would be the mid west and after some reserch I found out Kansas is the largest wheat distributor in the US. Also In the setting I want there to be a forest withing maybe small biking distance or i can maybe accept 45 min drving distance. I don't know Kansas topography but I also noticed there are forest in Kansas which is cool because my intutions were spot on. Also that there are small towns...Basically my question is what are some small towns in Kansas where it's a large wheat ranch or farm and close to a forest, maybe with a swamp/river etc...and where people are still...errrrr country-style ish. Not near big cities or indistrial areas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,700 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 06:53 pm
@Uiriamu Busujima,
Are you writing a travel log or fiction?

If you have a plot, get on with it and stop obsessing about things that won't matter to the reader. You do have a plot, don't you?
Uiriamu Busujima

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 06:56 pm
@Ragman,
It's fiction but I want the setting how I want it to be. Sure I can just make up a name, but there are already small towns which fit my description I just want to know of them.
Ragman

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:01 pm
@Uiriamu Busujima,
There's an expression, "you can't find the forest for the trees."

If you have already researched that much of Kansas, then why not just pick a name from your research. Topeka (or suburbs) is as good as any. Choosing one will not much your novel succeed or fail. Are you by any chance in the science profession or a technician of some sort?

What I'm telling you by this is that you are obsessing over tiny details that are not essential to plot development. As a writer, you have an imagination...use it! I have recognized in myself the stalling or evading the task of developing the plot and the characters.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:06 pm
@Uiriamu Busujima,
I'm sympathetic, Uir. But you are battling against what people who have lived there forever just know, and sorry, you will mostly sound dumb, however genuinely smart you become.,

Not to push you, but I think the mix in city could work better for you.

0 Replies

Uiriamu Busujima

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:08 pm
@Ragman,
Actually I noticed that myself. I've been brainstorming my ideas, i've typed out ideas for my plot, as well as character description for the protagonist, antagonist , etc. When I was writing the setting I didn't go too much into it because I wanted to focus more on how I want my characters to be as well as how the story will flow. But, I am a perfectionist so luckily I found that Kansas has the perfect setting as to how I was thinking of. I know that the western side are wheat fields, while going towards the east becomes more green and more forests. I just really want to know a place where it might be in the middle because even though it's fiction, I would like to choose real world locations. Also, I feel that it would help me better imagine and further the setting and the general atmosphere I want to create.

As for your question, I am an architecture major so maybe that's why i'm so persistent into finding the place I feel most to how my description is.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:11 pm
@Uiriamu Busujima,
I'm listening but but also about to sleep.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:59 pm
@Uiriamu Busujima,
Coffeyville...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffeyville,_Kansas
0 Replies