This is a request for all my non US friends

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 08:32 am
I have a request for everybody that lives outside the USA.

My wifes birthday is in July, and I am looking for a unique gift. She has developed an interest in the look of foreign currency since she went to the Philipines, and I am trying to get some for her.

If its not to much trouble, can all of you help me out.
I would like you to mail me one of the smallest denomination paper currency you can, I am willing to pay for the postage.

if you can help me, please send me a pm and I will pm you my address to send it to.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 3,132 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 08:42 am
@mysteryman,
Clever man.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 10:49 am
@Ragman,
Indeed: postage from here $0.97 (0.75€), smallest paper note is $6.49 (5€). Wink
mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Then pm me your address and I will send you a $10 money order to cover the cost.
Mame

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:54 pm
Why not just go to a Currency Exchange and buy some for her?
mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:40 pm
@Mame,
there isnt one within 250 miles of here
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 11:44 pm
@mysteryman,
You can't get foreign currencies at your local bank? That's what I had thought to be the easiest way (and that's what people would do here).
saab

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 08:25 am
@mysteryman,
I wonder if it pays at all for the person getting a money order.

I got a check fromUSA $ 50 and it would have cost me almost the whole amount to get the money. . Returned the check.
It is much better to mail the $10 in a envelope.

Smallest Swedish in paper is 20=$3.02 and in Danish is 50=$8.72
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 08:30 am
@saab,
I made the same experience with an US-dollar check.

But Payback works fine as well ...

(Smallest English/British bank note is £5 = $7.60)
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 08:59 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:

I would like you to mail me one of the smallest denomination paper currency you can, I am willing to pay for the postage.

You could also stop by your local bank and get the very same thing. Most banks are able to change US currency into euros (European Currency).
The single European currency adopted in 1999 by eleven countries in the European Union (Belgium, Austria, Finland, Spain, Ireland, Portugal, Germany, France, Netherlands, Italy, Luxembourg) as an alternative currency in noncash transactions. In 2002 it replaced the national currencies of twelve member countries (the original eleven, plus Greece).
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 12:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter,
There are 16,000 people in the entire county. The local bank is not part of any national bank, nor does it have any branches outside the county.
Getting foreign currency from a bank would mean going to Louisville, that's the closest city to me, and its a 3 hour drive.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 12:11 pm
@saab,
If you prefer me to send the cash instead, I can do that.
I am not trying to cheat anyone, I am simply trying to set up a birthday present for my wife.
If I could get foreign currency at our local bank, I would.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 12:24 pm
MM, I just looked up the American Express Travel website and they have 3 offices near your town.

https://travel.americanexpress.com/currency-center

Quote:
Foreign Currency from American Express

Avoid the hassle of exchanging money when you arrive. Purchase foreign currency for some of the most frequently traveled countries in the world:

Euro
British Pounds Sterling
Canadian Dollars
Australian Dollars
Japanese Yen

Additional currencies are available through special order. Please contact your nearest American Express Travel Office for available options. Note: Availability of currency services may vary by location and issuer participation.

1. The Travel Authority

2033 US Highway 41 North
Henderson, KY 42420
+01 (270) 826-6069

2. The Travel Authority

2031 Frederica St.
Owensboro, KY 42301
+01 (270) 684-9267

3. World Travel Professionals - Gold Coast

Cnr Warehouse Road & Brolga Ave Brickworks Annex
Southport, QLD 4215

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 01:27 pm
@mysteryman,
Most of our banks are just local, but that has nothing to do with selling/buying foreign currencies. (if you want some 'exotic' money, you have to order it.)
My bad that I thought such would be normality.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 01:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Quote:

Additional currencies are available through special order. Please contact your nearest American Express Travel Office for available options. Note: Availability of currency services may vary by location and issuer participation.

I suspect it will be problematic for mm to order foreign currency from his location. It's worth contacting them but they may say no - or require a minimum order.

I would have the same problem if I wanted to get any foreign currency in smaller communities in my province. Even getting U.S. currency can be a problem.
Ceili

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 06:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Most banks here won't do it either. They refer you to a money exchange place. Cheapest location is at the airport.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 11:13 pm
@Ceili,
I suppose that's the difference: all banks exchange money here ... and at many airports, you only get ATM's.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 02:05 am
@mysteryman,
I looked in my own foreign exchange drawer and found a 10 Swiss Franc also a 5 English puonds.
Piles of currency from different countries before EU got the Euro.
When all the countries had a currency, which often was beautiful, told about the country and made you feel you were abroad as you had to use your head to pay.
The Swedes and Danes not to mention the Brits are thankful living without the Euro.
roger

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 02:18 am
@saab,
Wasn't the old German 5 mark piece a beautiful coin? It sounds kind of boring, now.
Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 04:06 am
It ought to be obvious why currency exchanges are common in European countries, especially as tourism is still an important business in Europe. It ought also to be obvious why currency exchanges just aren't found in so many places in the United States, which are hundreds of miles from the nearest border, and which are not tourist destinations. There is just no good reason for anyone to go to the trouble of offering such a service in rural/small town areas of the United States.

It sounds like a wonderful idea, MM, i hope you can manage it. They are now offering "plastic" bills in Canada, although right now, $20 is the smallest denonination, and the exchange rate has been running around par, so it would be $20 US or more for one of them.

1. Forums
  2. » This is a request for all my non US friends
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 10:13:06