Who would like to translate the French into English?

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 10:35 pm

“La poésie chinoise abonde de mots polysyllabes, qui ne se trouvent point dans nos dictionnaires, et dont les parties composantes, traduit littéralement, ne sauraient donner le sens… Dans ce travail, tout nouveau pour moi, j’ai été vingt fois arrêté, soit par des expressions figurées, soit par des mots composés, dont l’analyse ne saurait donner le sens, et qui ne se trouvent ni dans les vocabulaires publiés par les Européens, ni dans les dictionnaires tout chinois que j’ai à ma disposition.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 264 • Replies: 3
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 10:43 pm
Here is the result of Google translator:

"Chinese poetry abounds with polysyllabic words, which are not found in our dictionary, and whose component parts, literally translated, do not give way ... In this work, all new to me, I was twenty times arrested either figurative expressions, or by compound words, the analysis does not give the sense, and are neither in the vocabularies published by the Europeans, nor in any Chinese dictionaries I have at my disposal. "

"I was twenty times arrested either figurative expressions, or by compound words"? What does it mean?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 10:48 pm
@oristarA,
In order to deal with human language, you have to be able to experience the world physically. No machine or computer can do that.
oristarA

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 09:33 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

In order to deal with human language, you have to be able to experience the world physically. No machine or computer can do that.

If you want to deal with Chinese language, you have to be able to experience it physically? Translators and interpreters live only for kings?
Well, I am the king. Serve me with the translation. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who would like to translate the French into English?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 09:27:41