how to split living expenses

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 05:37 am
I'm going to be moving in with my boyfriend & his 15 & 23 yr old daughters (my kids are grown & on their own). My house isn't big enough for all of us so we are going to RENT something together & I'm selling my house. I make about $20,000 more than he does but I'm struggling with how much I should contribute to the household.
Should I kick in as much as he does? 1/4? 1/2? OR should all of my income go into a joint account. When he lived with me for a few months, he paid $150.00 a week (although not consistently).
Their mother doesn't pay anything toward the daughters. I don't want to pay to finish raising 2 more kids. Contributing to the household is one thing but the financial responsibility of the daughters is something that I do not feel is my responsibility.
HELP!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 567 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 08:28 am
@ArmyMom2,
Keep your finances separate. Create a joint account just for these kinds of expenses, which you and your boyfriend will contribute to. He should keep his own account as well.

As for how much to pay, why would you pay the same amount as him? He's got 3 people living there. You are but 1. Pay 1/4 and set aside the rest as your own funds.

Unless you adopt either of these girls, you are not financially responsible for them. Don't start setting a precedent and an expectation. If the relationship goes south, do you really want to be on the hook for tuition for them?
0 Replies

Antonia80

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 12:07 pm
@ArmyMom2,
You have to discuss this with your man. Tell him your thoughts and worries. I am sure he will understand. Calculate your common costs and see how much you can give for the common fund. Wish you luck!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » how to split living expenses
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 07:06:13