Need Advice - Stripping Black Hair to Lighter Brown

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 09:07 am
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my question...

For the past 3 years, I've been dying my hair a dark brown colour (although the colour always comes out black instead of dark brown). Recently, I've felt like it's time for a change - especially with summer around the corner. I would really like to go to a lighter brown colour but am unsure of how to go about it... since I've been box dying my hair almost black for the past 3 years. I dye my hair every 4 weeks to keep the roots looking good. My hair is moderately healthy though considering how often I dye it... I have fine, soft hair.

What would be the best route to go in terms of lightening my hair to a lighter brown? I don't want it to be super light or anything... just a little lighter... I want to stick to an Ash colour being I have a cool skin tone. Reds don't look great on me at all. I just dyed my hair dark a couple of days ago to keep up with my roots. I'm willing to wait a month or so to strip my hair if need be. I'm considering going to a salon but I'm guessing I'll end up paying about 200 bucks for a professional to strip my hair and dye it... I'm also worried that this is going to completely kill my hair. I've worked so hard to grow it long over the past couple years.

Does anyone have experience with this? What's your personal recommendation?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Elisha
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,605 • Replies: 2
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 09:23 am
I think it would be wise to have a professional put hi-lights in your hair. If you are applying the box color to your entire head every time, the color builds up and you will have more of a challenge. Picking the right product from the grocery or drug store to achieve the result you want is tricky since every product claims to be easy, foolproof and your hair will be marvelous. Don't risk turning your hair orange or in my case mauve because the advertisers assure you you can get salon results by buying their product.
Elisha88888

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 01:25 pm
@glitterbag,
Thanks for the advice Smile

I'll definitely take it into serious consideration. I really don't want orange hair so I'm thinking the salon is my best bet - as you mentioned. My goal is to lighten my hair to a medium ash brown if possible. Smile I'd be happy with that.

If I don't end up with the results I desire, I might just have to go back to dark. I love the dark hair... but I'm thinking a change would be a fun idea for summer. I'm one of those types of people who need to take a bit of time to get used to change... so I'm trying not to go too drastic.

We will see what happens though Smile ...

Thanks again for your helpful comment!
0 Replies