The difference between 'result' and 'outcome'

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:39 am
Hi English teachers,
May I know what the difference between ‘result’ and ‘outcome’ is and are my sentences acceptable? Thank you for your guidance.
Please let me know the application outcome as early as possible once it has been released.
Please let me know the application result as early as possible once it has been released.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 11,937 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Skar

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 08:14 am
@Loh Jane,
Result is something tangible and something immediate, while outcome is intermediary, leading to far reaching impact.
If you're asking the people who you've submitted the application, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to ask for the outcome, because the entire future is not under their control. It would make more sense to ask for the result, which could be that you passed or failed, and/or if whether you are accepted or rejected.
JTT

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:16 am
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
May I know what the difference between ‘result’ and ‘outcome’ is

Deontic [social sense] 'may' asking for permission doesn't sound natural mixed here with the stative verb 'know', Jane. It's sounds awfully epistemic, level of certainty meaning, but that's obviously not the sense you intend.

Is it possible for me to know ... ?

???May you tell me ... ?

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 12:23 pm
@Loh Jane,
Jane "finding" or "verdict" might apply though not quite collo

http://thesaurus.com/browse/outcome?s=t

"Upshot" might go

http://thesaurus.com/browse/result?s=t
0 Replies

Loh Jane

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 08:59 pm
@Skar,
Hi Skar,
if two persons fought, can I ask them the outcome?
Skar

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 10:23 pm
@Loh Jane,
If you mean boxing or MMA, the conventional word that would be used is 'result.' But in a casual conversation over a beer with a friend or a colleague, you may hear, in some instances where someone will interchange the word 'result' with 'outcome.' In sports, 'result' and 'outcome' in most cases conveys the same linguistic meaning. An example of a case where these two words ceases to be synonymous is when discussing sports injuries.
Loh Jane

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 10:50 pm
@Skar,
Thanks a lot for your explanation.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The difference between 'result' and 'outcome'
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 07:39:43