Vocabulary 'beforehand'

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 06:56 pm
Hi English teachers,
Do I use ‘beforehand’ appropriately and can I use ‘beforehand’ like ‘earlier’? Thank you very much.
I was told beforehand that you were going to the shopping center. May I meet you there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 584 • Replies: 4
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 07:28 pm
@Loh Jane,
Let me try this example: If I had known beforehand you were bringing your friend, I would have prepared more food.

I hope that helps, beforehand is not identical to earlier. I'm not sure right now how to to better explain.....let me think and hopefully I can come up with a better explanation. Oh, it's important to know that your example would be understood by an English speaker, it would just be a little awkward to the ear.
0 Replies

Ice Demon

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 07:54 pm
@Loh Jane,
Yes, you used 'beforehand' appropriately and it is not awkward to the ear.
But you don't have to take my word for it since I'm not an english teacher, per se, so we'll just wait till some 'english teacher' bothers to agree with me.

As to the poster above me, I don't know what the hell the person is going on about.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:40 pm
@Ice Demon,
I agree with you, Ice. And, once upon a time, I used to be an English teacher.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 09:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Andy, she was not exactly wrong, but if I knew beforehand that this would be a shorts in a knot topic, I would have spent more time working on a more complete explanation.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Vocabulary 'beforehand'
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 10:37:31