Keeping Lines of Communication Open in A2K

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 12:58 am
One of the wonders of Able2Know, is the diverse group of people who populate it. We have folks who live in many different parts of the world. Our religious and political preferences run the gamut of beliefs. We are young, old, and in between. Our lifestyles range from the traditional, to the unique.

In A2K we have the opportunity to interact, learn and grow with a much wider spectrum of people than we are able to in experience our (non-virtual) daily lives. These differences make for a much richer learning experience than when we constantly interact with folks who are mostly like ourselves.

One of the most important things that we need to remember is, KEEPING THE LINES OF COMMUNICATION OPEN. By this I mean, interacting in a way that people feel comfortable and safe in stating their most strongly held opinions without fear of being berated, slammed or chastised for it.

How do we accomplish this? BY STICKING TO THE ISSUES, and not indulging in personal attack or invective. If the point of this forum is communication, denunciatory expression is counterproductive, and simply leads to defensiveness on the part of other people. Then there is no more discussion, and the entire point of the Forum is subverted.

What should you do if a person writes something that is diametrically opposed to one of your most cherished beliefs? If you find yourself becoming hot under the collar, take a few deep breaths while you still have the desire to post a snappy comeback. Better still, go on to a less serious post, and give yourself an opportunity to cool off.

Everyone has a right to their beliefs, even if we do not agree with them. In a discussion, it is perfectly reasonable to use persuasion, but challenge the ideas with FACTS, not personal attacks. A pattern of personal attacks will not be tolerated on A2K.

Able2Know allows us a unique opportunity for lively intellectual discussion. If we all retain our civility, and high level of discourse, we all can share a wonderful experience here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,276 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Smitty

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:57 am
Phoenix: That is very well put & good guidence to all of us. I do thank you for some good suggestions as well.
Just shows that this is another one from Abuzz where we all learned a lot, but suffered as well.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:49 pm
Indeed. So far I've really enjoyed this forum, both for its diversity of topics and the fact that there are political discussions that don't turn into juvenile food fights within two or three posts. Either everyone is being civil here or the moderators are doing a good job of screening out nastiness.

Whatever the case, Able2Know is a vast improvement over that other forum. And we can revise our posts after the fact. Wonderful!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:49 am
Absolutely the very BEST advice!! allowing us to
ALL continue to enjoy one another, both in
discussions, debates & any other interactions
we have here on Able2Know. It is the SINGLE
most IMPORTANT thing to remember, I believe,
in order for each and every one of us to always
ensure that our conversations are courteous,
pleasant, interesting, diverse & always enjoyable
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 05:03 am
Unfortunately, some Abuzzers have brought their poor manners to this forum. Why do they consider belittlement of others to be their
right?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 05:53 am
Yes, Phoenix, Civility is important, but I do have one observation, and that is what you refer to as "off thread". Often, just as in classical music, points emerge that are variations on a theme. Then I think that it may constitute divergent thinking and should be viewed as such.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 07:11 am
Letty- Could you please clarify. You mention that I said something about "off thread".That post was written in December, so I didn't remember exactly what I wrote. I checked 3 times, and I couldn't find to what you were referring! Confused
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 07:33 am
Sorry, Phoenix,

I misinterpreted your "sticking to the issues" as "on thread". Say, "Ah"...I'm now extracting the words that I put into your mouth. Laughing

And as for me, I need to start being more observant of the dates.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 07:39 am
Letty & New Haven- I want to thank the two of you for reviving this thread.
I consider it an important one, and at the time, there was not too much interest.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 09:31 am
Right on!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Keeping Lines of Communication Open in A2K
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 06:04:57