Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 08:59 pm
@JTT,
Do you know where can I buy CGEL book?
JTT

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 09:34 pm
@nickenclau,
Quote:
Do you know where can I buy CGEL book?

You can buy The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language [Hardcover] thru any bookstore, Nickenclau, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is not REALLY REALLY well acquainted with the study of English grammar including having an excellent grasp of grammar terminology. Plus it's $228.00 US!!!

Here's a link to it at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cambridge-Grammar-English-Language/dp/0521431468/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362972443&sr=8-1&keywords=the+cambridge+grammar+of+the+english+language

============

This book, Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage [Hardcover], is one of the best on English grammar available today. And it's less than $20.00 US.

The co-author of The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language wrote a review for this book. Read what he has to say:

Quote:
Superb research, sound usage information, great value! September 23, 1999
By Geoff Pullum ([email protected])
Format:Hardcover
This is the finest work of scholarship on English grammar and usage I have ever seen, in thirty years of doing research on English grammar. One grouchy reviewer on this page gives it a one-star put-down and grumbles that it is unreliable, advocating a return to Fowler, or Strunk and White. Don't believe it. The stiff and constricting prescriptions of those older works are in fact often unfounded. The third edition of Fowler (prepared by Burchfield) is not an improvement, and actually gets grammatical points wrong (and I means things like giving examples that are not in fact examples of the point at issue). The Merriam-Webster book is on a different level of scholarship. The example collection is magnificent, the analysis is intelligent and accurate, and where it says something is now acceptable literate usage you can trust it. Of course, if you want silly advice, like "never end a sentence with a preposition" or "never split an infinitive", you won't find it: there are irrational prejudices in the English usage field, and this book lends them no support. But this is because it demands EVIDENCE and ARGUMENT concerning the points it treats; it is not content simply to pass on dogmas and myths from past centuries. I was particularly struck by the fantastic value of this book: Amazon brought it to my door for shipping included -- and this is a 990-page large-format hardback! BUY THIS BOOK. You can't afford not to if you have any serious interest in English grammar.

http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Websters-Dictionary-English-Usage-Merriam-Webster/dp/0877791325/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362972102&sr=8-1&keywords=merriam+webster+dictionary+of+english+usage
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:13:06