2 Outlook Express problems (slow/duplicates)

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 04:57 am
Any suggestions for resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated.

My email is through BT Yahoo and my version of Outlook Express is:
Problem 1
It regularly takes an age (sometimes minutes) for an email to feed through into OE.
Problem 2
Then I regularly get duplicate copies feeding through. I think the maximum is 12 before I went into my BT Yahoo account and deleted the email there.

My Broadband speed is fine. I do have about 1GB of archived emails but I am sure that is within acceptable limits.

I was advised to delete the Inbox.dbx file in case it was corrupted but that didn't help.

Also advised to switch off email scanning in my security software but I am reluctant to do that at present.

So basically I am stumped.

Can anyone please help??!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,786 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 07:40 am
@Mark Barrett,
I'm not sure what BT is - is it British Telecom?

There may be a setting, where you are getting mail in both Yahoo and through your provider, and then the provider is shunting their copy through Yahoo as well. That could explain both the dupes and the slowness.

I'd try calling the provider first, see if they can hammer some of it out. Then go to Yahoo help if that does not work (I know they're not that helpful; you'll need to hunt around for items on duplications, email forwarding, etc.).
Mark Barrett

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 06:51 pm
@jespah,
Thanks for your reply.

Yes BT is British Telecom. My broadband is with British Telecom and my email was as well but a few years ago that became BT Yahoo.

My gut feeling is that this problem is at the Outlook Express end, but I guess there is nothing to lose by calling British Telecom and asking them if they can throw any light on it. I'll try that tomorrow and see where it leads.

Mark Barrett
Ceili

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 07:22 pm
@Mark Barrett,
Outlook is flawed IMHO. Sometimes it takes days for me to get an email at work. Sometimes I don't get them at all on the computer, but they show up on my phone. The other day I sent an email with a document attached but it showed up in my bosses email with no document just three pictures I'd never seen before. These pictures were not on my computer. They were from another person's email to him. However, his message didn't come in, just the pictures. Explain that, Microsoft???
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 07:41 pm
@Mark Barrett,
See if this guidance from Microsoft helps:

Quote:
POP3 Servers
POP3 servers by default store e-mail on the server only until you download them into your mail client. As soon as a message is downloaded, the client tells the server the message has been received and the server copy should be deleted. Outlook Express follows this default behavior, but also gives you the option to "leave a copy of messages on server".

Tip: If you wish to keep a copy of messages on your POP3 mail server, you can do so by accessing the account's Advanced Properties page:

On the Outlook Express Tools menu, click Accounts.
Click the Mail tab, and then double-click your e-mail account.
Click the Advanced tab.
Check the box labeled "Leave a copy of messages on server." Doing this activates two clean-up options:
If desired, check the box to "Remove from server after 5 days." You may change this to any number between 1 and 100.
If desired, check the box to "Remove from server when deleted from ‘Deleted Items.'"

Be careful using this option! Most ISPs limit the size of your POP3 mailbox. Saving messages on the server can cause your mailbox to become full very quickly, and so you might not receive important messages until you delete the server copies.
0 Replies

LAS14

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 12:45 pm
@Mark Barrett,
I'm sorry to interrupt this post with something unrelated, but I can't figure out how to post a new question in the Outlook Express forum. If I click on "New Posts" or "New Topics" I get a list of stuff unrelated to Outlook Express. Can someone tell me how to make a new post?

tia
las
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 12:47 pm
@LAS14,
Click on the green Forums link in the blue menu bar at the top of the forum page near the A2K logo. That will take you to the home page where you'll find a form to create a new thread.

To insert your new thread into the Outlook Express forum, add a tag to your new thread called Outlook Express.
0 Replies