Fun With Alley Cats

SCoates

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:17 pm
When I was living in russia we were always afraid of the alley cats, since they were as big as dogs, and much more fierce. One day we (my roommate and I) found a wounded baby dragon under a bush near our apartment, and we tried to nurse it back to health. It had fleas tucked up under its scales so we gave it a long hot bath to kill them. Worked like a charm, except that dragons aren't to fond of water, so he lashed about and spurted flames. But other than a few scratches and some burnt holes in the shower curtain we were fine.

But then we started thinking, "Boy dragons sure hate water," which lead to "What's the one thing that hates water more than dragons? And the one thing fiercer than a dragon?" That's right, Alley cats. One thing leading to another, my roommate soon was bound by a fifty ruble bet to bathe an alley cat (Actually, part of the bet was that he had to shampoo it), and the next thing you know, we're filling up the tub with water. We set up one of those stick holding up a box traps, with a little dish of sour cream under it, and pretty soon we had an alley cat in our bath tub. Now, we hadn't thought this out too well, and the cat was so violent we absolutely could not get anywhere near him! The water was too deep for him to jump out, but even after abandoning the idea of shampooing him, we had no idea how to get it out of the tub with our arms intact. So the only thing we could think to do was catch a few more alley cats, and throw them in too.

That actually just made the problem worse, and after a while we knew we needed to do something. So my roommate lured the cats over to the opposite end of the tub, and I unplugged the drain, then we both ran and hid, while waiting for the water to get low enough for the cats to jump out. We had opened up all the doors leading out of the house, and barricaded every other exit. We had forgot one though--the rat hole in our kitchen, which was between the bathroom and the exit. Sure enough, one after another the cats ran right inside.

This was just after we had gotten rid of our rat problem (another great story) so it was really frustrating to have larger louder animals in our walls. But it was fun telling people we had cats, and saying it like a problem, which seemed to confuse them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 782 • Replies: 15
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:20 pm
Oh my, the natives are restless tonight.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:40 pm
yep - and they've been at the jungle juice, too....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:26 pm
Me thinks he needs a cat nap.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:35 pm
Hey, I'm starting to like her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 12:24 am
We have a new alley cat at work, named Printer (for the print shop), what a fool for love that cat is. I almost caught her en camera posing by the trash bag full of old blossoming branches but no, didn't have film in it. What a dollop of joy, she plays with Tux, the more serene one.

Okay, okay, they have been attended to by various societies re their genital needs from our point of view. Really, Printer isn't truly feral, as Tux is, though tux is pretty tame by now.
Even Pacco acknowledges Tux's right to be there or be square.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 12:49 am
That's a really nice little story, osso. As long as there are kind people willing to look after homeless animals I feel there's a bit of hope for us all. Say hello to Printer & tux for me. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 12:52 am
Tux is cool. She (perhaps) lived all last year in harmony with a mom raccoon and several youngies nearby..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 12:43 am
osso

I take it that Tux is a tuxedo cat, like my Flatty? I have a real weakness for them ... So slinky & cool! Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 12:48 am
Tux is indeed a tuxedo, last of the cats of the CATMAN who inhabited part of the third floor of the victorian building complex our workplace is in. All these buildings have a back area which is kind of like a courtyard, and they are well tended in their semiwildness, and, I gather from others, taken to the veterinarians for at least a one time go over.
There is a fellow allied with the print shop who retired a few years ago who still comes every day to greet tux and now Printer, though Printer is more of an indoor kitty; it is the light of his life, I think, and at least part of the light of theirs.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 01:09 am
That retired man is a man of my own heart, osso. Lovely to hear stories like this. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 07:52 pm
Baby dragon? <blinks>

I used to have a baby dragon here ... girl baby dragon. <nods>

She didnt have fire yet - just a baby dragon, you see, they dont have fire yet. Her hissing was impressive tho ...
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 10:36 am
Wow, I am completly lost Sad

Though I usually am :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:05 am
Really, nimh? I could never tell them apart till they were several years old.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:09 am
roger wrote:
Really, nimh? I could never tell them apart till they were several years old.

By that time you can't pry them apart.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:22 am
I adopted a feral cat a few years ago. She was born in the backyard of my house, where there's a steady population of the critters. A friend helped capture the family, got the mother spayed and adopted her. Someone else adopted a sibling. Getting the mom out of circulation seems to have slowed the population explosion back there.

Winifred is doing OK, though she'll never been the most affectionate animal. We get along OK...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fun With Alley Cats
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 12:03:21