Tue 29 Jan, 2013 06:29 am
Help me to identify a high quality preschool program.
You can ask the following questions about the preschool:
1. Does the program have a clear written statement of its goals and philosophy?
2. Do the goals address all areas of a child's development, including his or her social, emotional, intellectual, and physical development?
3. Does the preschool offer a balance of individual, small-group, and large-group activities; and spontaneous play and teacher-guided activities?
4. Is there a balance between rest and quiet periods and vigorous outdoor activities?
5. Do the preschool's activities encourage self-expression; help children to develop various motor skills; and regularly expose the children to literature, the language arts, music, science, and nature?
6. Do the staff encourage and respond to children's natural interests in reading, writing, and counting?
7. Does the preschool provide snacks and meals that are sufficiently nutritious?
8. Do the staff pay attention to, and follow up on, the children's interests in the world around them?
9. Do the content and materials of the preschool program reflect cultural diversity and nonsexist attitudes?