Prius owners on A2K?

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 12:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
www.cars.com has excellent research articles on all the new (and used) cars. It has a very good interface so you can lookup under Research tab...how the Ford Focus compares to other cars in it's same category and/or price range.

http://www.cars.com/ford/focus/2013/expert-reviews/
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 12:03 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Ragman wrote:
Some people I know (shorter than avg) reported having some issues with blocked visibility from the pillars when looking behind when parking or during a lane change. I drove it (5ft 7.5) with no problem whatsover.

I'm in that shorter than average crowd - no problems with visibility to the back for me.

Actually, that's helpful info - one of the things I don't like about the Fit is the lack of driver's seat height adjustment, which could be an issue; my wife is about 8 inches shorter than me and we are used to moving the seat around to accommodate us. But it sounds like it works fine for you!

Cycloptichorn
Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 12:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't want to confuse the issue, I only test drove one once. Also, when I was married and had a car with no vertical seat adj. and also had a short wife who drove our car, too, the constant seat adjustment every time she drove it, drove her nuts. However, that was admittedly a very short drive (towards crazy) for her.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 12:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The seating in the Fit was more of an adjustment for me than Set or my dad. I was used to climbing down into my lowish cars - learning to just turn and sit in something that initially felt like a kitchen chair (in terms of posture) was odd - now I love it.

I'd recommend going in and looking at it - it's an odd little vehicle.

(can I rave some more about the Magic Seat?)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 03:37 pm
@ehBeth,
I shouldn't be surprised at your choice of the Fit. I know a lady with three Italian greyhounds that bought hers just because it transports the dogs so well.

Your 42 mpg in combined driving is awesome.
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 05:16 pm
I think the price of diesel went up because the formula changed for environmental reasons. It's much cleaner now. Highway diesel is much more expensive than off road. I think that happened in 2008.
roger

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 06:07 pm
@IRFRANK,
Are you allowing for the difference in taxation between highway and off road diesel?

It does seem that the difference in price could be close to offsetting the greater mileage involved in diesel. In any case, if we ever get into another major fuel shortage, like in the early 70s, diesel cars could end up competing for fuel with agricultural equipment and heavy highway transport. I am willing to guess who the losers will be.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 06:24 pm
@roger,
Diesel stuff in the air has long been problematic - I used to live two blocks from a major bus route. Gah.

I suppose there is diesel and diesel, but just today there is news re diesel soot and global warming.

I have no idea what side is right on diesel questions, and doubt one car matters, but given your general interest on these kind of issues, cyclo, and maybe you know all about it already -
I'd do some reading.

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 07:01 pm
@roger,
Off road diesel has a lot of sulphur in it. On road doesn't. There are filters in the exhaust of on road that can't take the sulphur. Emission stds changed in 08. I'm sure taxes are part of it too.

Drive a diesel. The new ones are a lot different. Still, they are better on the highway than in town. . Also, less parts, they last longer. If it was me I'd buy the Fit, if it fits!
roger

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 07:44 pm
@ossobuco,
The soot emitted by some diesels actually promote global cooling. I wasn't sure from your post if that's what you meant.
roger

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 07:46 pm
@IRFRANK,
All true, of course, but I still wonder if the difference in price per gallon is more related to highway taxes or sulpher content.

That Fit is looking very good. If I had to do a replacement today, it would surely be one of the top considerations.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 07:55 pm
@roger,
I don't know about cooling. You mean the soot on my fence?
roger

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 07:57 pm
@ossobuco,
No, it only promotes cooling while in the atmosphere. Same as dust from volcanos.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 08:12 pm
@roger,
There's recent stuff in the news re diesel, not my realm of knowledge.

I'm pretty sure there is data about people who live near major highways or bus ways.
roger

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
You may have more recent information than I. Certainly, just because something mitigates against a global warming trend doesn't make it healthy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 09:17 pm
@roger,
The Fit has been great for the dogs - the salesperson had me bring them in to test getting in and out before I committed to the purchase. Bailey liked to travel on the security cover for the hatch of my Civic so they brought in a security cover for the Fit from another city (Toronto had run out) for Bailey to test out even before I'd agreed to buy.

I'm surprised by how good the mileage is. On my first road trip, I thought the fuel gauge was broken.

As much as I like to have access to acceleration, I'm a pretty smooth driver - I don't brake a lot and I don't slow down and speed up - I find my spot on the road and stick to it. One of my fun challenges is how many green lights I can hit in the city by staying e.x.a.c.t.l.y. at the speed limit - makes for smooth driving and terrific mileage.
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 06:57 am
@ehBeth,
Does the Fit have room on the roof for those doges? 😉
ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 07:39 am
@IRFRANK,
ha!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 11:03 am
Test-drove the Fit and the Mazda 3 this weekend. Didn't like the Fit, loved the Mazda.

The Fit was peppy, all right - but it almost feels like a false peppiness, like it's waiting to leap forward the second you touch the accelerator, but it tops out way too earlier. The Mazda was the exact opposite - acceleration was moderate unless you really stepped on it, at which point the car surges forward. 50-80 mph in the Mazda took about a second and a half when you laid it down. And it was hecka nice on the inside.

Now, to start looking into next steps: insurance, financing, and negotiating price.

Cycloptichorn
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
FWIW - Love the Mazda 3.
0 Replies