Goddess-Based Religions

Kolyo

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 04:46 pm
Hi

I've recently decided that (1) religious conviction is a matter of choice, (2) I'd be happier as a theist than as an atheist.

However, I prefer women to men as bosses (De gustibus non est disputandum), so none of the patriarchal religions interests me. If I want a goddess-centred religious tradition (complete with texts, prayers, meditations, etc.) that I can participate in, what are my options?

For example, should I look into Celtic folklore or stick to the Devi Mahatmyam? Does the gospel of Mary Magdelene exist, and if so what does it say?

In this time of pending environmental apocalypse, I need hope and faith in my life. Please, self-professed witches, help if you can!

http://www.koausa.org/Gods/Shakti1.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,167 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 06:04 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
I've recently decided that (1) religious conviction is a matter of choice,…….If I want a goddess-centred religious tradition
Very well I'll suggest a couple of choices

Quote:
I prefer women to men as bosses
Oh me too as you will see. Not only on Earth where we depend upon them to take care of us but in the spiritual realm too. So, Kolyo, join with my No. 2 Son and I as apodictical existential pantheists. We refer to the Ultimate, the Megillah, as "She"

Quote:
(2) I'd be happier as a theist than as an atheist.
Depemds upon yuour concept of reality. On the scale of abstractness with a sidwalk, say, at the concrete end (forgive pun) and Her at the transcendental extreme, if you change your mind, lose faith, you can claim that after all She doesn't really exist
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 06:09 pm
@Kolyo,
Hmmm.

Our poster, dalelehman [?], consistently refers to the deity as 'She', obviously meaning 'God.' You may want to consult with him.

It's a pretty safe bet that the earliest animistic religions that our distant ancestors practiced were mostly goddess-based. Primitive man would see the female as the life-giving force and if this was so in human society, why would it be any different among the gods? The Creator is obviously a 'She.' So is the proximate protector of her helpless children -- us. I have even read some speculation that before the time of Abraham the early Hebrews may have worshiped a supreme goddess rather than a god.

Not being into this worship thing (of whatever gender) myself, I'm afraid I can't help you much more than this. But dale will prob'ly be along shortly.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 06:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Oops. You were posting at the same time as I was, dale. Sorry I got your monicker wrong.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 06:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Our poster, dalelehman [?], consistently refers to the deity as 'She'……..
By the sheerest coincidence Andy, you posted just before I saved

Quote:
It's a pretty safe bet…….The Creator is obviously a 'She.'
Obviously

Quote:
So is the proximate protector of her helpless children -- us.
But predominantly our Better Half wouldn't you agree

Quote:
I have even read some speculation that before the time of Abraham the early Hebrews may have worshiped a supreme goddess rather than a god.
It's only logical

Quote:
Not being into this worship thing (of whatever gender) myself, I'm afraid I can't help you much more than this.
Me neither but I have to admit I admire The Megillah as pretty awesome

Quote:
But dale will prob'ly be along shortly
You beat me by milliseconds…….

Quote:
……...Sorry I got your monicker wrong.
No apology necessary
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Goddess-Based Religions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 02:41:37