SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT THE HONEYMOONERS

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:04 am
Why did Alice and Ralph Kramden have so few pieces of furniture? It must have made it difficult for them to entertain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 2,428 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:23 am
@Setanta,
This show was more like a cartoon or a caricature of family's life. I think ... because the producers wanted to exaggerate how stark their existence was in comparison to the average person watching. I think that the producers wanted us to feel more sympathy for these characters existence.

Recall their ice box? It was 20-25 yrs older than the avg person owned in that timeframe. It was more extreme than someone in their socio-economic status actually should've had.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:39 am
@Setanta,
Plus wasn't Ralph known to be incredibly cheap and his wife generally forebearing (to a point)?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:42 am
Just because i alleged it was a serious question doesn't mean you had to take it seriously.
Ragman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:56 am
@Setanta,
As always, just making idle chatter. Always wondered the same thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:59 am
@Setanta,
Exactly who do you think would be visiting? The Mertzes perhaps.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:30 pm
@Setanta,
The show was produced far before the Ikea hit the North American shores. This day and age, if the show was produced then we'd have either Ikea or some corporation like KMart inshow market their cheap furniture via the apartment set trappings.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:33 pm
Here's what I don't get: why did Alice have Ralph?
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 01:27 pm
@George,
cause her sister Jayne was the rich bitch of the family.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 01:59 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Here's what I don't get: why did Alice have Ralph?

Or, why, having got him, did she KEEP him?

Do you think it possible he might have been good in bed?

Gasp!
Roberta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 02:00 pm
The Nortons had furniture, and Ed worked in a sewer. Could he have earned more money than Ralph?

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 02:20 pm
Ralph was a pool-playing gambler and lost his paycheck every week. What little he had left he spent on bowling.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 02:28 pm
@George,
As usual, George goes right to the heart of the matter . . .
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 03:13 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
. . . Do you think it possible he might have been good in bed? . . .
Now there's a mental image I really don't need.
Ragman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 03:16 pm
@George,
"To the moon, Alice!"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 03:17 pm
@George,
http://www.nhbr.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=U$$_6v1yRQs80roNb5_YXM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsuFJcs8yX7Y9_UVpXhCBL6WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:03 pm
Can it core a apple?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 06:31 pm
@Setanta,
I thought the story line was that a hard working NYC bus driver lived a comparatively poor existence with his wife who was a plain women, in plain clothes. I've heard on tv that Alice had to be made-up to appear less good looking than she was. She was a natural beauty.

Also, the entire episode took place in the kitchen. In effect, it was like a play that was turned into a sit-com, week, after week, after week. In my opinion, each episode is as timeless as the I Love Lucy episodes. Writers must have been more creative back then, in my opinion.

Let's not leave out Gracie Allen (misspelled?).

All three were Irish Americans. Were WASP's allowed to be humorous back then? Maybe not?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 07:35 pm
Ah Set, I think we're the two most serious Honeymooners fans on A2K.

I also have the answer for you.

Ralph was always getting involved in these cockamamie get rich schemes. Thus he always screwed the pooch. He was a sad sack who could never catch a break.

Alice's demeanor could be likened to Rossetti's Persephone. Alice wasn't a bitch, she was despondent. Like the Greek goddess, she rarely got to see her mother, like once a year, maybe in the Spring. Most of the time she was left to deal with a husband who constantly disappointed by being ruler of the underworld, which consisted of an icebox and a dresser where the dishes were kept.

http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/proserpine_persephone_by_dante_gabriel_rossetti_postcard-p239760089923390248baanr_400.jpg

Contrast the Nortons who lived upstairs. They had plenty of nice stuff.

Look, they could afford leopard skin sheets, not to mention a string of poloponies!

Actually, the Nortons used a lot of credit, which is how they had nicer things.

http://www.myretroflix.com/tv/honeymooners/ShowPictureTV.asp?ID=78
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 03:34 am
I knew you'd show up, Chai. I have to admit, dragging Persephone into it was a stroke of genius.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT THE HONEYMOONERS
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 05:20:15