Neutrino faster than light

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 12:38 pm
Until recently the photon and neutrino were supposed possess no rest mass but now there's evidence that the latter might outrun the former

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/future-tech/information-travel-faster-than-light.htm#mkcpgn=em6

Does this suggest that c isn't the ultimate v, that maybe the photon does have a little mass--tho maybe immeasurable

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,965 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 02:53 pm
@dalehileman,
This was resolved some time ago. The neutrino result was erroneous due to a timing measurement in the experiment.

Nothing travels faster than light. The light speed limit is fundamental to the structure of our universe in relation to matter and energy.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 03:05 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
This was resolved some time ago…….erroneous due to a timing measurement …….
Thank you Ros for that report. I should have spennt more time scrolling Google

Quote:
Nothing travels faster than light…….
Yes I understand how that's supposed to work, as an object gets disproportionally massive as its velocity increases and of course infinite at c, so of course can't be further accelerated

The relativistic changes have always intrigued me because they're so inexplicable. Of course mathematically they hold together very nicely but they nonetheless puzzle intuition. For instance what's unique about c

In other words, why c and not some other value. I do have a kind of weird notion to help explain it and to account for the other effects such as shrinkage and time dilation but won't pursue it here since it hasn't proven very pop

But thanks again for setting me straight, that neutrino business was indeed kind of troubling

Out curiosity though and to save me the scrolling, if it's not beyond the understanding of the average Clod (me), just what sort of error was it
rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 08:29 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Out curiosity though and to save me the scrolling, if it's not beyond the understanding of the average Clod (me), just what sort of error was it
Something about the clocks they were using not being synchronized right I think. I don't really remember off hand.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 08:30 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
As an extreme example of the nature of light-slowing in matter, two independent teams of physicists were able to bring light to a "complete standstill" by passing it through a Bose-Einstein Condensate of the element rubidium
attaching to A2K

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light
rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 08:35 pm
@laughoutlood,

Another quote from this wiki article:
Quote:
... However, the popular description of light being "stopped" in these experiments refers only to light being stored in the excited states of atoms, then re-emitted at an arbitrary later time, as stimulated by a second laser pulse. During the time it had "stopped" it had ceased to be light.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 06:55 pm
@rosborne979,
So fellas what's the conclusion
DavJohanis

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 07:27 pm
@dalehileman,
I stopped when they started banging everything together to see how many different sizes of debris they could map, though when they present a polarity chart and cross reference it against antimatter as a linear parallel to reality with polar intermediacy, I may very well raise an eyebrow again.

Bed for the headache I think.

D.
0 Replies