Painting my kitchen cabinets

alexis1

Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:54 am
I have white kitchen cabinets and I am planning to paint them orange just to add some color to my otherwise boring kitchen. I have already sanded my wooden cabinets and now I need some help! Do i need to put a primer or directly paint as the base looks uneven. How many coats are needed and in how much time gap.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,473 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

farmerman

Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:04 am
@alexis1,
I would prime them just so you keep a consistent color matte going.

Id use different values of orange and some careful use of steel wool and sanding to get an accurate distressing look. Orange , just as some new covering, may be really startling if its not "antiqued" just a little. Why not prime it with a darker blue and then distress the orange to let a little blue show through.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:13 am
@alexis1,
You can use a fairly thin coat of white emulsion on wood to seal that, maybe not pro, but cheap and very effective, normally there's some lying around.

It probably is not absolutely required to prime them, how much 'evenness' you get from priming of any kind will likely be negligible, given the other paint can be purchased to go straight on it, that may be thicker, check the tin for 'primer required' or such.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:38 am
@alexis1,
Are you looking for a high gloss look or an antiqued, muted orange?
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 06:05 am
If your gonna paint your cabinets bot, Id say replace the doors with something different.
0 Replies

josejcapers

Thu 10 Jan, 2013 06:50 am
@alexis1,
I recommend using primer before painting the cabinet. The main reason to use primer is because they have good binding properties, so the paints will not wear away soon and it will also look good.
farmerman

Thu 10 Jan, 2013 06:58 am
@josejcapers,
I think most of us whove painted cabinets agree that priming is a necessry step.(It also saves paint)
0 Replies

arturoi

Tue 15 Jan, 2013 06:31 am
@alexis1,
Time depends on your kitchen area ... kindly mention your kitchen area.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Painting my kitchen cabinets
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:16:18