How do you convert a pellet stove to a wood stove?

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 12:05 am
Hello Guys,

I am buying a house with a pellet stove and would like to have a wood-burning stove instead. Is it possible to swap the pellet stove out and how hard is it?

Thanks
Frayne Thomas
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 14,094 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 04:44 am
@FrayneThomas,
Burn two sticks of dynamite in the pellet stove and VOILA! You now have a wood-burning stove.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 06:40 am
@FrayneThomas,
Im gonna venture a guess and say that its gonna be really difficult. Pllet stoves use a small combustion capsule and then the heat is picked up and blown about. A wood stove usually has a big firebox lined with fire brick and the burn area is made of much thicker cast plate.

Why not try to see if you can trade it or sell it and buy a used wood stove. I see em in the various shoppers guides every week under "Seasonal sale items". Pellet stoves are usually waay more expensive then wood stoves so you may be able to get a real deal

OH yeh, check the elevation of the pellet stoves pipe, they are often just a foot off the ground and are usually just about 2" in diameter whereas a wood stove pipe is higher on the unit and is often 6" in diameter
0 Replies

chaelsonnenfan

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 01:43 pm
@FrayneThomas,
" Is it possible to swap the pellet stove out and how hard is it?"

Yes, the difficulty will be in the exhaust set up. Woodstoves need triple insulated pipe and are usually ran into a chimney.

Pellet stoves can be exhausted directly through an exterior wall and don't require as much pipe.

You should do some research and compare costs. I would expect that it will cost 2-3 thousand dollars in stove and pipe for the conversion.
0 Replies

Ckirton

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2023 06:16 pm
Im having that done to my old pellet stove, its costing me too much to fix so Im going to have it turned into a wood burning. My friend says hes going to gut it then weld a back onto it, and reinforce the bottom. He seems to think it will work fine. Maybe do more research on it, but wish me luck.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How do you convert a pellet stove to a wood stove?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:29:45