Is the Personal Check Dead? If not, how soon will it be?

roger

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 01:25 pm
@Mame,
<smile>

I was behind a lady that did just that. She was very old, and radiated a certain air of confusion. Everything was fine till the moronic cashier spied smaller bills in her purse and started trying to give explicit instructions on exactly what she should give him. Confusion increased.

Infinate patience finally exhausted, I told him the total was less than she had presented, so he could just go ahead and make the change. In hindsight, I probably should have ratted him out to management.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 01:41 pm
@Joe Nation,
I once bought a Chevy SUburban with my AmEx card and it was a complete cluster fucque with the card and the bank and the Car dealership.

Large purchases are either time pay (using a direct ban withdrawal at MY DIRECTION), or a checque. No farm purchases are done with credit cards.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 01:47 pm
I haven't used checks for about 10+ years. If I needed an actual piece of paper to mail, I'll buy a money order from the US Post Office. I think I average 1 money order per year (or maybe slightly less).
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 01:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Try buying 3 tons of feed mash with a credit card at a feed mill.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 01:50 pm
@farmerman,
But think of the air miles one can get with such a purchase. Wink
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 02:28 pm
@farmerman,
Whoa, I had considered putting a car on my credit card a couple of decades, or so, ago.

It seemed like it would have been something easy and hassle free.

I'm glad I didn't.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 09:19 pm
Since you asked, Jonathan, I went through my checkbook and looked. Six checks in the last month. That's all. This time last year it would have been several dozen.

I switched to online banking about 6-8 months ago, and I love it. It saves me so much time! We also switched to paying most expenses by credit card since we pay off the balance each month anyway. The only times I had to write a check this past month were for the hair stylist, the massage therapist, and church contributions.
Roberta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 02:28 am
I write checks for my monthly bills--assuming I have enough money to pay them.

I also get actual real checks sent to me for payment for work I do. No direct deposit. This makes trips to the bank a necessity, but it gives me a feeling of control.

Goofy, maybe. But c'est moi.
farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 04:57 am
@Roberta,
ALL my clients pay in corporate checks. The entire billing system in use by most industry requires that bills be payed at the last minute possible and ya cant do that with bank transfers, and I dont take "Paypal"
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 05:59 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The entire billing system in use by most industry requires that bills be payed at the last minute possible and ya cant do that with bank transfers,...
Why? I mean, we can do it here, and you have the same www ...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 07:51 am
@Eva,
Yeah, that sounds about like other people I know once they've discovered online banking (and Quicken...I have a friend who, though she was always sweating some error in her checking account, fought tooth and nail NOT to learn Quicken...until she did. The end of the monthly "How come I am off by 217.67??!" )

One thing, I would ask, because they cannot, if your Massage Therapist and Hair Stylist would prefer cash. At the place I get my hair cut now, they take credit cards for the salon's charge. All tips are in cash.

Contribute to the church in a check, natch, that's all tax deductible.
Did you know that some churches now "accept" electronic automatic payments um, contributions.

Joe(Just wave your iPhone over the basket.)Nation

Eva

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 10:03 pm
@Joe Nation,
Actually, I visited a church earlier this year (here in Tulsa) that has kiosks in the lobby where you can swipe a card to make a contribution. It's a good idea.

The hairstylist tells me she just got one of those little white, square-shaped card readers for her iPhone, so she'll be able to take credit cards now. The massage therapist and handyman (home repairs)...I will have to continue giving them checks.

I hate carrying cash. Despite my protests, Hubby and son treat my purse like an ATM, so I never know if I still have that $50 I had yesterday. So I just stopped carrying cash. The only time I ever have more than $10 in my purse is when I'm out of town.

I don't see the need for Quicken. I'm very organized and have my own system that works well. I never have to spend more than 15 minutes balancing an account.
Stugotz

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 02:06 pm
In God we trust, All others must pay CA$H
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 02:11 pm
@Eva,
They use your purse as an ATM??!!? If we ever dared touch my Mom's purse, we would have lost part of a finger. Even after she died and we were cleaning out her closets, it felt dangerous to have your hands on her any of her bags.

Joe(sadly, there wasn't pictures of dead Presidents left in any of them.)Nation
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:12 am
@Joe Nation,
I can’t remember writing a single check this year. Last year I remember having to write one for the property taxes because they were going to charge me a fee if I paid online using my debit card.

They changed that this year, you can now pay online without a fee if you do an online check just by using your routing and checking account number.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 09:22 am
@jcboy,
I came thisclose to writing my brother a check for his birthday **, just so he would have to go to the bank to cash/deposit it, but then I remembered he has that phone app that allows you to photograph the check and deposit it from where ever you are. So, I ironed a Five Dollar Bill and mailed off the card for his 30 December birthday.

Joe( Mr. Green )Nation

(everybody gets $5.00, no matter the age or shape of income, the kids love getting the fiver and the multi-millionaires enjoy the ice cream they are commanded to purchase with the gift. Razz )
Ragman

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 09:27 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

So, I ironed a Five Dollar Bill and mailed off the card for his 30 December birthday.

Santa, will you please iron me a $100-bill? I will send you my address.
P.S. I've been good.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 11:03 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:

So, I ironed a Five Dollar Bill and mailed off the card for his 30 December birthday.

Santa, will you please iron me a $100-bill? I will send you my address.
P.S. I've been good.
y

You want $100 Bill? Okay.

To Ragman:
Please remit for services rendered:
One Hundred Dollars (US) and 00 cents.
(US$100.00)

Discount of 1% available for accounts paid within 15 business days of billing.
Due upon receipt.

Joe(I hope this helps. I'll be waiting)Nation
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:47:54