ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:21 am
@Roberta,
I know Roberta, so there.

I have noticed over time a lot of writers whose names I have recognized on a2k, or who have communicated with me, and one international one, I got to know and meet, re mutual interests. And one international writer a lot of us got to know by posts. And others.
I'm not about to tattle.
Besides that, some of our seemingly ordinary posters have been journalists of regard.

You are blowing smoke again, Dal.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:23 am
@Roberta,
Who the **** is he calling Rob?

(I'm not the one who added the passive aggressive tags, hadn't thought of it yet this evening, plus it's obvious.)
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:47 am
@ossobuco,
Wondering if I'm a published writer. I have had legal briefs published by the bar, as an appellate court is considering an appeal. So I suppose I might be "published". What was the question?
timur

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 02:06 am
Dalehileman wrote:
But Tim you seem angry

Why

The semblance is only in your eyes.

No angriness at all here.

Just stating my opinion based on some interaction with you on technical subjects.

You have shown very little accuracy and approximative notions.
JTT

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 10:55 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
I have no idea what the tendencies of the typical writer are.

The tendencies of the typical writer is to ignore the false rules, aka, prescriptions, that were never really a part of natural language, Roberta. Take for example the silly falsehood about 'everyone/their'. The following writers, typical all, used this in their writing.

Jane Austen, Geoffrey Chaucer, Edmund Spenser, William Shakespeare, the King James Bible, The Spectator, Jonathan Swift, Daniel Defoe, Frances Sheridan, Oliver Goldsmith, Henry Fielding, Maria Edgeworth, Percy Shelley, Lord Byron, William Makepeace Thackeray, Sir Walter Scott, George Eliot [Mary Anne Evans], Charles Dickens, Mrs. Gaskell, Anthony Trollope, John Ruskin, Robert Louis Stevenson, Walt Whitman, George Bernard Shaw, Lewis Carroll, Oscar Wilde, Rudyard Kipling, H. G. Wells, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Edith Wharton, W. H. Auden, Lord Dunsany, George Orwell, and C. S. Lewis.

http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/austheir.html
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:29 am
@JTT,
Quote:
I have no idea what the tendencies of the typical writer are.

Quote:
The tendencies of the typical writer is to ignore the false rules, aka, prescriptions,
Yea JTT thanks for that link, you've got a handle on what Im trying to elicit, not so much what we think of "good writing traits" but those which veer from the norm or might even be labeled nonconformist

Thus the writer is more likely to broach subjects others might consider trivial, overly intimate, or even troubling

Thanks to Rob for pointing out that writers differ from one another but of course that goes without saying and that's the reason I didn't say it. Still I invite the interested observer such as JTT above to suggest other such more uncommon if not deviant traits
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:32 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Besides that, some of our seemingly ordinary posters have been journalists of regard.
So it would appear and of course they're most cordially invited to join in

Quote:
You are blowing smoke again, Dal.
Yea just a rigid old chimney
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:35 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
So I suppose I might be "published". What was the question?
I'm not sure to which q you refer, Tico. However the gist of the thread is to note offbeat qualities typical of the writer

Do you qualify

Sure why not
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:35 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Yea just a rigid old chimney
So phase 1 of rigor mortis has set in? When's the few-nee-rull, dale? Any floral arrangement preference?

(just kidding)
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:45 am
@timur,
Quote:
No angriness at all here.
Glad to hear, that I might be contributing hereabout to the curtailment of longevity sometimes troubles me

Though not much

Quote:
on technical subjects….You have shown very little accuracy and approximative notions.
Indeed it's just awful how the mind of an oldster wanders OT but thank you for that term, it's not everyday………

http://onelook.com/?w=approximative&ls=a

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:50 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
So phase 1 of rigor mortis has set in?
Surely it has Sturg. I've asked by Better Half, who of course is much smarter than I, to let me set an 8 x 16 on end beside the front door though she refused on grounds of facade

Quote:
When's the few-nee-rull, dale?
Some time in 2017

Your refreshing posting is of most welcome receipt in this otherwise acrimonious, ineluctable gallimaufry of dolorous contention

…has made my entire day

Quote:
(just kidding)

Not really, esp since my friendly local nephrologist cheerfully advised me I've only five remaining years
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Who…….is he calling Rob?
Yes, no, really, Roberta, I sincerely apologize if it constitutes an affront. I thought about it long and hard (no pun intended) before I used it but would be most happy to desist

Howe about "Erta"

Or "Bert"

No no, that one's out

Quote:
(I'm not the one who added the passive aggressive tags,
I don't recall having so accused you, ….., but if that's your take I apologize most profusely

Quote:
hadn't thought of it yet this evening,
Do you mean of an evening that you usually do

Quote:
plus it's obvious.)
Forgive me again, …., but what's
JTT

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Who the **** is he calling Rob?

Yeah, now that is truly perplexing, isn't it, Osso?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 01:31 pm
Imagine if you will, a southern type gentleman {your choice, white suit, Mississippi string tie...or the more modern camo covered type....I tend to look more like Wyatt Earp} leaning on a spit rail fence....or more realistically just me standing there with one leg propped upon a box, leaning on my knee....speaking to a friend, or a crowd of friends. In my long time role of small town leader, It calls for me to do this from time to time, I deliver monologues, and this would probably sum up my true writing style....I write in monologues. Off the top of my head, BPB {Bear} is also good at this, when he want's to be, I've seen it, just that he normally likes the little one liner, off the cuff post.

In my opinion, I'm more of an orator, a story teller...than a writer....I talk with my hands a great deal, and have trained myself to keep this to a minimum, using them only when I really want to make a point of something.

Often my pov is not expressed as I mean it, if I try to make a short statement post....it almost never works out for me, in a good way.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 01:37 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
Who…….is he calling Rob?
Yes, no, really, Roberta, I sincerely apologize if it constitutes an affront. I thought about it long and hard (no pun intended) before I used it but would be most happy to desist

Howe about "Erta"

Or "Bert"

No no, that one's out

We agreed on another thread that you would call me Bert. You forgot.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 02:49 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
We agreed on another thread that you would call me Bert. You forgot.
Alas Bert my apologies but at 82……

I stick notes to that sort of effect on the wall in front of me but now there are so many……..
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 02:50 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
We all function admirably in language without actually understanding what we are doing.
JTT, I often so reflect

At least in my case
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:17:35