Are You MEH about Cilantro?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:10 am
@farmerman,
I hate the taste of coriander. <shudder>

I'm meh about cilantro. I don't mind a bit, but I find a lot of places toss way too much into their recipes/dishes.

Excessive use of either would definitely turn me off a restaurant.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:24 am
@hawkeye10,
I love cilantro. But I also like to eat soap, so I am probably not a good data point.
sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:26 am
@maxdancona,
Ha! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:27 am
That's a good point . . . too much cilantro makes your food taste like dish soap.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
the coriander seeds that Pennzy's sells IS the same seed that is produced by the cilantro plant. Its a member of the parsley clan and, like kimmel seeds (caraway) and dill, the various plants of this group have very aromatic seeds.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:43 am
@ehBeth,
what does coriander taste like to you? To me its an orangey fragrance that one of my partners who is now late, and was a sikh used to brew a tea with limon and cardamon. He made it whenever we had some partner meetings that look like they would go on till late
Mame

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:47 am
@ehBeth,
Coriander has a different flavour when toasted.z
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:53 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I posted:

I think it can wake things up. A certain brightening effect, especially when fresh.

Then I had a sudden worry that I was talking about coriander, not cilantro, then looked it up and they're the same thing. Whew.

In my experience it is called cilantro when the leaves and stems are consummed fresh and coriander when the ground dried seeds are used.

For Beth: the Mexican places here go very heavy on the coriander in the shredded beef. This is a problem for me, it does ruin the dish.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 11:30 am
@sozobe,
Cilantro the plant is coriander the plant.

Cilantro the flavoring is not coriander the flavoring, at least in Texas.

When a recipe calls for "cilantro," it means the fresh leaves. When a recipe calls for "coriander," it means the (usually ground) seeds.

Edit: Horrors. I just agreed with Hawkeye. I think I need to go bathe.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 11:33 am
@boomerang,
Me too, only I think it tastes more like soap.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 11:35 am
@farmerman,
coriander has a bitter/sour taste to me if I inadvertently bite into one <shudder>
I think it's the only thing I've ever spit out due to the nasty surprise. Now I know to look out for the seeds/pods

I don't mind things that have coriander in the spice mix - but I never want to bite into one again

when Indian restos have those dishes of mixed seeds and candies for the end of the meal, I'm careful to pick out the coriander and the thing that looks like caraway but isn't quite

a little cilantro adds a nice parsley/citrus brightness that I like (thank you Chef Nelson for the rice/basa lunch today - with herbs including cilantro)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 05:40 pm
I like cilantro, but we don't use it much.

I like its aroma and flavor that are, at once, herbal and citrusy.

I use it in frijoles charros, bean soup made with pinto beans, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeƱos, and bacon.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 06:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
Listen up, sez me. I sort of follow InfraBlue on food.

If I remember correctly, Fbaezer doesn't much like garlic - or maybe it was he doesn't like too much.

Does anyone mix garlic and cilantro and is that good or bad?
I don't know, since I am a basil person.

As obnoxious as I am on food threads, I have a very poor sense of smell. Never take my word as law. I get some of all this. I probably have some lame smell buds (long story).
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 05:04 pm
I'm not "meh" about cilantro, I hate it.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 10:16 pm
figures.
stevem13

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 03:36 am
I like cilantro in most of my food items
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 06:44 pm
@MontereyJack,
Really?

How so?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 07:28 pm
@stevem13,
Its a "must" on burritos, anything else, I can take it or leave it, the soapy taste by itself can crap up some food tastes
0 Replies