What People are Talking About...

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 11:42 pm
This is interesting, to me anyway. I found these statistics on what topics people most enjoy talking about. This seems to be consistent in all of the message boards that I've been on including Able2know.com

I don't expect replies on this. Things like this just interest me so I thought I'd share.

1. In your everyday conversations with friends and neighbors, what topic would you say comes up most often these days? Here's the results.

28% Economy/Jobs/Employment
10% Politics/Political issues
9% Iraq/Saddam Hussein
7% Family issues
4% Health Care
4% Local issues
3% 9/11 /Terrorism/War on Terror
3% Education/Schools
3% Weather
3% Religion/Bible
2% Sports
2% Current events/World news
2% Taxes
1% TV/Entertainment
1% Elderly/Social Security
1% Middle East
1% Drugs/Crime
1% Stock market/Finances/Money
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 550 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 01:08 am
I guess I'm one of those "out of the box" kind of individual, because I don't have regular/daily conversations with friends and neighbors - except on A2K. My wife tells me about her job and what happened at work about 3 times a week, but we do very little talking about the economy/jobs/employment. She works 3 days a week, and I've been retired since 1998. I spend more time on local issues, because I'm a member of the civil grand jury of Santa Clara County, and I'm involved in two committees working on a half dozen or so issues. I go to grand jury meetings two days a week. I spend some time to keep track of our retirement savings/investments. I watch very little tv. I like to work in my yard or inside the house doing maintenance work. According to your chart, only 1% spend time on the stock market/finances/money. I think I spend about 10% of my time on this topic - reading articles, and keeping track of each account on a log I designed for personal use. How was the result calculated? Where and when was the survey taken? How old were the respondents?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 01:14 am
I speak mostly about design issues or community business related matters while at work, besides what we will do about lunch. With my neighbors, the discussion is at best about the rhododendron parade and at worst about the weeds growing at the curb.

I suspect the sampling questions above are directed to viewers from a very urban place.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 01:43 am
Blimey - I don't know what I talk about!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 01:56 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
How was the result calculated? Where and when was the survey taken? How old were the respondents?

I got the stats from here http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,113412,00.html

The stats seem to be pretty accurate from what I've observes. You mention discussion of stock market and finances should be higher, but what I've seen on sites that have multiple discussion topics is that the money and finance categories are never very active. Maybe that's just the case for discussion forums. I can see why people wouldn't like to discuss their finance with strangers on the internet. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 10:44 am
rover, That puts it into better context; it's brought up as a political poll. I think a different result might happen if the poll was taken as a "family" interest topic. I think most couples talk about finances and family/friends.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What People are Talking About...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:34:25