George McGovern dead at 90

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 06:52 pm
@msolga,
Care to hazard a guess as to how many folks will care to discuss his lost legacy, MsO?

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 07:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
My bad, msO. I shouldn't have brought Jimmy Carter into the conversation.

No no, Andrei, Carter was perfectly appropriate for recalling the context of McGovern. (And so is Richard Nixon.)
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 07:15 pm
@Thomas,
And of course, the Butcher of Nicaragua - Ronald Reagan.

http://sierravoices.com/2011/02/is-this-how-you-remember-ronald-reagan/
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 07:26 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
A good and honorable man who got my vote for President

Why then do y'all besmirch his memory with your protracted silence?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 04:53 pm
@Thomas,
There's the iconoclastic Thomas we all know and love, peddling his own version of revisionist history.

Carter was a lousy president. That he was not Nixon (primarily the reason I voted for him) isn't enough to have made him a good one.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 05:07 pm
By all accounts, McGovern was quite a good and decent man. Just being a successful politician meant he could not have been a saint, but other than throwing over Eagleton he wasn't so bad.

He led a long and rich life and so his passing shouldn't be a cause for sadness.

Clearly he was a far more stable and honorable man then Nixon, but he would have been a much worse president.

Nixon's demise was a validation of our system (thank Goodness he was a Republican or the press may have let him have his meglomaniacle way) and he deserves his infamy, but it's a mistake to view the entirety of his presidency through the prism of it's end.

Nixon went to China, which is something I would be stunned to learn Thomas would not have applauded. He ended the Vietnam War, and he created the EPA. For these three things alone he deserves an honored place in the Liberal Pantheon.

That McGovern would not have been a good president is not being disrespectful to the dead, how many people can be?

A good and decent man, loved and respected by many.

RIP Senator McGovern.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 05:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I quite agree with you, Finn (SURPRISE!!!) re: Nixon. Did not want to mention it on this thread as we're supposed to be commemorating McGovern, not extolling the virtues of his opponents or even allies. I've already apologized for having brought Carter into the conversation.
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Nixon's demise was a validation of our system

That's a complete load of crap and gigantic liar that you are, you know it, Finn.

Your system failed big time. Nixon walked. Think about it, the highest office in the land was a festering bunch of gangsters and nothing of any consequence happened.

Your "vaunted" system failed so badly that when the Reagan gangsters came along, the press looked away completely because they didn't want another Watergate.

And then Bush and then short pants Bush. Your system is great at meting out "justice" to the little guy and your compliant press plays these instances up for all they're worth. But along comes an arch criminal, with arch criminals serving him, a terrorist of epic proportions, served by a bunch of servant terrorists and your "press" gives him a pass.

Quote:
Nixon ... He ended the Vietnam War,

Why you would even bring up this world record series of war crimes is beyond me. The Vietnam illegal invasion was simply 30 plus years of war crimes and a degree of terrorism that will never be equaled.

There are still thousands upon thousands of war criminals walking the streets of American from that SE Asian debacle. Did you have a hand in it? You certainly seem the type.

Quote:

On Bended Knee

The Press and the Reagan Presidency

by Mark Hertsgaard

Farrar Straus Giroux, 1988

Even with all that eventually went wrong-the Iran-contra scandal, the stock-market crash, the seemingly endless series of criminal investigations of former top White House officials-the overall press coverage of the Reagan administration was extraordinarily positive. It is rare indeed for public officials to express satisfaction with their press coverage-in the words of NBC News White House correspondent Andrea Mitchell, "Politicians always say they want a fair press, when what they really want is a positive press"-but the men in charge of media and public relations in the Reagan White House were, almost unanimously, quite pleased with how their President was treated.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Ronald_Reagan/On_Bended_Knee.html
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Do you think it possible that you could be more obsequious, Merry?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 07:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
peddling his own version of revisionist history.

You really really hate it when people provide facts, don't you, Finn. Have you ever, EVER provided anything besides your drunken, and the odd time, sober drivel?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.52 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 10:30:14