constitution

spendius

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:21 pm
@farmerman,
It was a key Jeffersonian policy.

And he led a movement for planters to renege on their debts. That must have been popular.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:45 pm
@MontereyJack,
Jefferson wrote The Declaration of Independence in 1776.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 04:16 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion in my pants

Nope. The Republicans will still not accept it.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 04:20 pm
@Setanta,
Sounds like nothing has changed in Washington or back stabing politicians.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 05:17 pm
@maxdancona,
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America in your pants.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 06:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Jefferson, upon recieving a copy of thedraft Constitution said
Quote:
I will now add what I do not like. First the omission of a bill of rights. . . .

Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 01:29 am
@Baldimo,
Well, kinda . . . haven't been following along, huh?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 07:41 am
@lilfker,
lilfker wrote:

Pelosi said when Pres Obama is voted back in the dems WILL rewrite the US constitutionM is this true?

Source the quote please. And from a legitimate third party news source not a conservative think tank or a near illiterate undereducated blogger.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 09:00 am
@MontereyJack,
Exactly the same can be said about Shariah law.
spendius

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 01:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Well hardly izzy. The Constitution is based on the principles of democracy and charging what the traffic will bear.

The Romans had a saying "auri sacra fames". They had arrived at a sense of the sacramental, or spiritual, virtue of the indefinitely extensible higher want of mankind for more. And woman of course. I'm inclined to think that woman has a greater need for more than us poor chaps. It is a need which self-authenticating.

But the Romans had a much lower threshold for the "saturation point" because what they wanted more of were tangible objects which have physical limitations which impose a mechanical limit to to their accumulation. The Gold Standard.

In the Christian nations, and especially the USA, the most Christian nation of all, this physical limit has been dispensed with. Our higher wants for more are credit instruments. (All we want is a bank balance, and a bit of skirt in a taxi.) The bank too wants a bank balance. So does the State.

Credit gives us an income charged on the community, in which we all have a share according the modern Tory Party thinking, or a boost to our self esteem. A spiritual income so to speak.

In either case there is no "saturation point". Both are indefinitely extensible and are not quantitatively related to any tangible facts. Credit is infinitely extensible in both the financial area and in that incomprehensible zone associated with being praised and admired for which the female of the species is justly famed. As are an increasing number of men some of whom go so far in that direction that they can only be distinguished from females biologically.

Sharia Law as it seems to operate does not have this characteristic to anywhere near the same extent we do although I think the urge to imitate us is growing and powering most of the unrest.

Where the natural resources of a country permits this indefinite extension of credit, it seems to be the case that it will take place in democratic conditions and in those countries which are not democratic, and more limited resources are at the disposal of a small elite, its members very readily and enthusiastically approach our condition and often overpass it.

There is nothing to be done about it. It will fulfill the destiny that an all-seeing Providence has provided for it.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 03:08 pm
@spendius,
I was talking of the concept of each generation re-evaluating it, as opposed to being set in stone. That's all.
spendius

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 04:50 pm
@izzythepush,
I thought that Sharia meant constant re-evaluation. By whom is the only bone of contention.
0 Replies