Myself

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 10:56 pm
I hold the belief that the greatest character a man can have is knowledge of himself. He should know why he thinks what he thinks and why he acts in certain ways. And I used to completely understand myself.

I knew what certain thoughts really meant and I could easily perform a psychological autopsy on my mind, until a short while ago.

I don't know what happened. For some reason, when I have recently tried to analyse myself, I come up blank. Not only that, but just after I start trying to figure my actions out, and before I ever really learn anything, I get uncontrollably frustrated and choose not to even attempt to dissect my brain any further.

The worst part is that I know that for some reason some part of me is blocking the conscious part of me from realizing something (to be specific). I know that there is something to be discovered, but I also know that I can't right now.

Why have I suddenly lost the ability to assess, analyze, and critique my own mind?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 818 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 10:59 pm
Well, people change. Everyone everyday grows a bit more, changes a bit here and there. I'm supposing if you don't keep up with the changes then you might not recognize the person you've become. Sounds silly, I know, but it's true.

It's very easy to fool yourself about how you are. We have hopes and expectations of who we want to be, and often see ourselves attaining those, even when where no where near being like that.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. . . Just start looking at your self with different eyes.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:05 pm
Hi Individual, this happens to the best of us, we all feel uncertain sometimes . Today you may not be able to strive for the answer, but tomorrow it will come to you easily.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:09 pm
I just had this mixed eagles and sophocles idea pop into my head: The world and us are changing right before our eyes, but sometimes are eyes are closed to these changes. I know ways in which I have changed, but not all of them. And perhaps the reason I can't figure out myself is because I don't know how I have changed yet.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:13 pm
That's just something you need to find out over time. Are you married? Ask your spouse, or a close friend that knows you well.

It's good to recognize how you are, and be willing to change. But if you don't see how you are, then you can't change, right? And the people who know you best can help you get centered again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:14 pm
I have no idea if the self is always changing philosophically or always the same underlying all maneuvers. One's apprehension of self is very interesting to me, or to be more truthful, my own to me.

Your short circuit of self recognition plays out, for me, as a dizzying panoply of points of view appropriate for now and which one will I go for? A test situation, or more than one.

This is an opportunity, but I must say, pay attention to what you are thinking, since you may leap for one point of view and then choose, on more thought, to backtrack.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:18 pm
Maybe you're mind is developing enough that it realizes some of your former assessments to be shallow, and no longer accepts them. I think when we think we understand the complexity of our actions, we are fooling ourselves, so maybe you are unconsciously no longer fooled.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:23 pm
repeat post
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:23 pm
simply remove
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:24 pm
excise
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:29 pm
Osso, if you've said it once, you've said it four times! Talk about hammering an idea into someone's mind! Do you wake up in the morning to a big sign that says:
"Remember the three R's
Redundancy
Repetition
Redundancy"?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:30 pm
I've seen you post three times, but four must be a new record!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:54 pm
I do beg your pardon. Particularly irritating since I edited it.

Swat.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:56 pm
I have no idea if the self is always changing philosophically or always the same underlying all maneuvers, and that isn't my interest.

One's apprehension of self is very interesting to me, or to be more truthful, my own to me.

Your short circuit of self recognition plays out, for me, as a dizzying panoply of points of view appropriate for now, and which one will I go for? A test situation, or more than one.

This is an opportunity, but I must say, pay attention to what you are thinking, since you may leap for one point of view and then choose, on more thought, to backtrack.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:59 pm
oh, good, an echo of twaddle aforethought.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:20 am
Perhaps your mind has "short circuited" because subconsciously you are tired of constantly analyzing yourself and you motives. Why not simply give it a rest for a while.
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 05:34 pm
Hi, Individual! It sometimes happens to me too, that I get this disconnect from myself. When it does, I often use sentence-completion to find my way back. For just in case you're not familiar with that technique, I started some just for you:

1. I wish I could connect to my thoughts so I'd know if..........

2. I don't want to know what I'm really thinking, because I'm afraid.........

3. My conscious mind isn't hearing my unconscious one to protect me from.........

4. If I knew what I was really thinking I'd probably.........

5. I'm sure that I can't connect to myself because.........

PS.You can do these again several days in a row and find that you've got different completions each time. I hope it helps
Confused
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 05:55 pm
Did you ever wanna go to a therapist and find out what they would clasify yourself as? I'm just wondering cause I think it would be kinda neat.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 08:17 pm
As in "You're right, you're just a crazy loon!"?

I always hated therapists because they scared the crap out of me. You could yell obscenities into their face and they simply say, "Oh, venting is good! Yell louder and with more feeling this time." And they tell you many things about yourself that you didn't even know.

I would prefer to stay away from people who are one step away from stalkers.

Katy, completing the sentence didn't work for me. They just turned into wonderfully zany ad libs.

I think I figured it out, though. This is an opportunity where I need to pay attention to what I am thinking, since I may leap for one point of view and then choose, on more thought, to backtrack. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 09:34 pm
Gee, didn't I just tell you that four times?

Ok, ok, it is possible, I admit, that you could leap forward, wherever that is.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Myself
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 11:30:52