Zero article

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 09:57 am
I was asked about a "zero" article. I know there are indefinite articles "a" and "an". Also the article "The", but am completely stumped on this one. Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 550 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:25 am
@teachme2win,
It means there isn't an article used before the noun.

No 'a' or 'an' or 'the'.

One night at dinner, she said she preferred the company of her cats to any of the men there. "Though they are like my cats," she went on,"I'd bet you they would like to lurk under bushes or climb up high in trees."

(No 'a' before 'dinner'.)
(No 'the' before 'bushes' and 'trees'. )

Joe(meow)Nation
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:31 am
@Joe Nation,
What Joe(good grammar)Nation is saying is that articles are not always necessary when it's understood. "Lurk under (the) bushes or ....high in (the) trees."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:32 am
Zero article refers to an occasion in speech or writing where a noun or noun phrase is not preceded by an article (a, an, or the).

In general, the zero article is used with proper nouns, mass nouns where the reference is indefinite, and plural count nouns where the reference is indefinite. Also, the zero article is generally used with means of transport ("by plane") and common expressions of time and place ("at midnight," "in jail").

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:42 am
@contrex,
We have now in this modern instances where using any article would be awkward as when the politician said he "had used THE Google to look something up."

Joe(I am speaking to you tonight through the tubes of the Internet.)Nation
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Zero article
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 06:35:57