Anyone play violin?

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 11:58 pm
As the question implies, I play the violin, and have been practicing on suzuki books and the Irish fiddle book for a long time now. I picked her up when I was 9, and have been sawing away on the classics in those books, and I want to try new stuff.

So can anyone suggest any good music sheets in treble clef; good music books in general.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,691 • Replies: 5
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 12:01 pm
@Jet Fire,
I play the violin, but I know nothing about "song books". Any sheet music store can recommend sheet music to you. Excellent books on how to play the violin--that would extend you instruction from the Suzuki Method include:
Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching by Ivan Galamian
Basics by Simon Fischer
Ricci on Glissando: The Shortcut to Violin Technique by Ruggiero Ricci
The Art of Bowing Practice by Robert Gerle
The Teaching of Action in String Playing by Paul Rolland and Marla Mutschler.
Stick with the violin. When you are old and retired like me it might be your salvation.
Jet Fire

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 03:02 pm
@JLNobody,
Thank you

I will look into those.

I won't give it up anytime soon. Playing my violin is the only thing that keeps my mind from depression. Especially these days, where my future looks bleak.
0 Replies

Jet Fire

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 03:35 pm
@JLNobody,
To your question on that other thread:
Quote:
Very good. Let me repeat myself: all knowledge is provisional and everthing is impermanent.
BTW, have you tried for sheet music sharmusic.com ?

No I haven't checked sharmusic.com. I'll check it out. I'm looking for traditional/ cultural music styles. I've grown tired of theory especially after Suzuki book 7. I was with a private tutor till book 4, and 5, 6, 7 was all me. I still practice theory, but it's fun once in a while to try folk music, or maybe jazz music. The things is it's hard to find a good one. I also want to learn to improvise tunes really good. If you've got any tips I'm all ears.

What are some music that you like to play?
JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 09:31 pm
@Jet Fire,
I lost you. You asked what kind of music I like. I too began the violin at age 9. My father was a serious violinist, professional. He played with philarmonic orchestras as well as major bands in the era of the big bands (Russ Morgan, J. Cugat, Harry James, etc.). I pretty much confine myself to "classical music". I've played a lot over the years in community orchestras and chamber groups. Right now I have a good accompanyist for solo work. We play at churches (believe it or not) and at our Emeritis College to which we both belong. That and my painting has made my retirement very fulfilling and busy.
0 Replies

rockpatel

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:07 am
Anyone able to suggest a way of relaxing when playing the violin to avoid aches and pains developing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Anyone play violin?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:30:36