What if people stood in the longest line in grocery stores?

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 04:59 pm
There's an economics principle of equilibrium, an example of which is when one previously closed cash register opens, people fill up that line till all of the lines are even. What if people stood in the longest line because the cashier offered 30% off of their groceries if they went stayed in that line (in other words, no equilibrium) and the newly-opened cash register would remain empty? What would be the long-term effects of such a decision by the cashier? I'm just wondering Smile.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,228 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 05:13 pm
@makasman1,
Right off the top of my head, you would have a very long but happy line.

On second thought, the 30% discount line would fill with baskets filled with a months order of groceries. The regular price line would quickly evolve into a defacto express lane of a bunch of shoppers picking up something like a jar of mustard.
makasman1

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 05:29 pm
@roger,
What if the disincentive set by the boss would be that the cashier who was unprofitable would be fired? Wouldn't that cashier respond by offering 35% off of the groceries? Would a discounting war ensue?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 05:43 pm
I tend to get irritated when checkers try to pull me over to their line. I'm here, I'm resting, damnit. I'll pick a likely fast line in the first place, and then I'll moon about and relax.

On the other hand, with checkers I somewhat know, given we've had conversations over the years, I'd move if they asked.

I don't have any faith in your long line for a discount thing.
1) clogs the aisle
2) creates agita'
3) can't imagine any store managers trying that one.
0 Replies

anneyours224

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 07:48 pm
Well try to think of it 30% is a really huge thing now that its hard to look for money, but this kind of practice is very unfair for the other cashier. This isn't a good practice.
0 Replies